Sponge Bob Snow Hat

Samantha has been making some friends at her new school, and one of them is apparently named Sponge Bob Snow Hat. Sam isn't sure of his actual name, but she calls him that because he always wears a Sponge Bob hat. Samantha has also been talking about another friend, Your Highness. I thought it was just another quirky Sammie nickname, but she told me that even the teachers call him Your Highness. I finally made the connection and figured out that this boy's name is Johannes, which sounds a lot like "your highness" to a four year old! So she's working on this whole language thing, but it's coming along a little slowly with some bumps along the way. Most days she is happy to go to Kindergarten, but some days she is not. It is difficult for her to not be understood, she is used to always being listened to here at home!

It's Fasching time here in Germany. Fasching is the German equivalent of Mardi Gras and during the celebration there are a lot of parades, parties, and other fun things to do. People dress up in costumes, so to the kids it's like another Halloween minus the trick or treating. Sam's school had a Fasching party this week and it was great fun for her to be the only one in our family to really celebrate Fasching this year. She dressed up as a butterfly fairy, she told me that she wanted to wear the "not modest" costume but told me not to worry because she'd wear a shirt under it. At the party she sang, danced, and ate treats with her friends. This picture is of her and either Sponge Bob Snow Hat or Johannes, I'm not sure yet who is who!

We have wonderful neighbors here at our new house, and feel blessed to live here. This week Dogmar, who lives across the street from us, came over with homemade Johannesbeere jam, chocolates for the kids, and Haribo gummies. Dogmar loves kids and has managed to learn all of the girl's names. It was so nice to spend some time visiting with her and to pick her brain about German words that we're not sure how to pronounce, where the best bakery is, and other things that we want to know about our new home. Next door we have Herr Saltzmann, who always shovels our walks! There have been three snowy mornings this week so we really appreciate his help. With Jared working at night he's too tired most mornings and I really don't want to do it while I'm also trying to get kids out the door for school. Herr Saltzmann doesn't speak any English so our conversations consist of sign language and the few German phrases I understand and can pick out of what he's saying.

Last weekend was the Air Base Wing's Annual Awards Banquet. Thanks to some friends from church who were nice enough to swap babysitting with us we were able to attend. It's isn't often that the two of us get to dress up and go someplace together so that was a special treat. Three of Jared's co-workers were nominated for awards and we were happy to be there to support them at the event.
Lastly, something that isn't related to our family's life but that I've been thinking about lately. Sometimes in life we're met with challenges and obstacles. It's easy to focus on them and wonder why me, or how can I solve this problem. I know that I am more likely to look at the negative side of a situation in most cases. I've decided to change my perspective and thinking a little bit. Instead of seeing certain situations as challenges I'm now going to look at them as chances for me to learn something new or to grow and develop new talents. This doesn't mean that life won't still be frustrating or hard from time to time, just that I'm trying to have a better attitude about it!

Comments

  1. Hey, loved your post today. Sammy looks so cute! You and Jared look quite lovely too. I meant to mention to you that I am selling my jewelry that I have at 1/2 price, also if you still have a catalog and there is anything you want, I can order it for you at 1/2 price. Let me know. Mom and Jess are probably going to snatch some things while they are here. I can get the other stuff at 1/2 price until the end of April and then I am not going to renew my contract. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charissa,
    I'm glad you liked the post, I'm never sure what so say and probably sound crazy half the time, but oh well! Send me a catalog if you can, I'm sure there's items I'd like to buy. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun that you got to dress up and go out. We just had our ball this weekend and it was a blast. There is nothing like a man all decked out in his uniform!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades