Trip to England

Last Sunday Samantha and I flew to England to visit my friend Miranda and Samantha's friend Emeryss (Miranda's daughter). We got home on Friday and had a wonderful visit with them. It was so great to be able to see Miranda again, I've missed her since she left Wyoming last March. For almost the entire time I lived in Cheyenne Miranda was my Visiting Teacher, and she was the best visiting teacher I have ever had or am ever likely to have again. I'm grateful to have her for a friend. Since we've moved to Germany I've made some friends, but no one yet who I am really close friends with. It was great to be able to spend time with and talk to someone who I love and trust. Thanks Miranda for being a great friend, I hope that I'm as good a friend to you as you are to me!

We had a great time while we were there. We went to Snettisham Park, a farm where the kids were able to feed the animals and gather eggs. There was also a huge playground where the kids had tons of fun. After we left the farm we went to the beach; a first for Samantha. She was able to go in the ocean for the first time, but the water was FREEZING so she didn't stay in for long. We did gather a lot of seashells that Samantha brought home with us.

On Tuesday we visited the Junk Lady who sells junk. It's just a lady with a shop behind her house that is packed to overflowing with things for sale. She had bikes, outdoor play equipment, furniture, dishes, antiques, and pretty much anything else you could think of. I found three large wicker baskets that will fit on top of our wardrobes and was able to buy them for only 10 pounds, which is much less that what I was willing to pay. I also bought a brass box that is very similar to a vase that Grandma Jensen gave me.

On Wednesday we went out for fish and chips. I don't like seafood, but I felt like I should al least give it a try. When I lived in England I would always get the saugage and chips instead. So the fish was alright. I'm not thinking that it's something that I will now crave or anything, but I won't be grossed out by the very idea of it anymore either.

The weather was glorious the whole time; it was warm and sunny every day. I was sad to have to leave on Friday, but excited to see what Jared and the rest of our girls had been up to while I was away. I think that everyone who stayed home in Germany had a great time as well. Dads are always more fun than moms, and Jared is no exception. On Tuesday they had pretzels and ice cream for dinner. On Wednesday he let the kids stay up super late (on a school night, what a cool dad!), and they spent a lot of time playing and beating the Kung Fu Panda game on the XBox. Jared worked hard all week in the yard digging out stumps, edging, and trying to get all the weeds out of our cobblestone driveway and sidewalk. He pulled out an entire bush in the back yard that had died and has big plans for the rest of the yard as well. I'm really grateful that he's so willing to help make the yard look nice, it's great to have someone to do all the hard work, especially when that someone is not me!

Saturday we went for a little hike up to some castle ruins that we see each week on our way to church. I think it was the perfect hike for our kids because it was all uphill on the way there. So in the beginning when they're excited and full of energy the climb isn't a problem. Then on the way back they can just cruise down the hill. We didn't hear a single complaint and that in itslef made it a wonderful day. The castle itself was built in the 1200's and had been destroyed and rebuilt over time. All that's really left now is walls and windows and one really tall tower. There was a large courtyard area where we played games and a well inside the keep that the kids had a lot of fun exploring.

Jared and I (and Natalie in the baby seat on my bike) went for a bike ride that evening when we got home. I'm not a big bike person so Jared led the way. Our ride was the opposite of the hike earlier in the day. The downhill came first and then it was all uphill on the way home. I DO NOT like riding downhill because it really scares me. We were following a trail through the forest that led to a river and waterfalls. The entire way down I was riding the brakes and freaking out about bumps in the trail and worrying that I would skid on gravel when we went around corners. The ride home was all paved, but like I said, uphill. There were some flat parts but they were not the majority of our ride. I shifted into the lowest gear and pedaled for as far as I could, but eventually I had to get off and walk. My legs were shaking so badly; it was really sad! Jared was really sweet and got off his bike and walked with me, I'm just not the biker he is. After a while I felt ready to ride again and I conquered the rest of the hills on the way back to our house. Jared was really encouraging and cheered me on, it was a long ride (Jared thinks about 15 miles) and I was glad that I was able to keep up most of the time. I'm so lucky to have a husband who is willing to share his activities with me and be patient when I'm not as skilled as he is.

This coming week should be pretty quiet. Just the same old routine, and I'm really looking forward to that!

Comments

  1. English fish and chips! Yum! I've only had the real thing a couple of times but I loved them!

    Maybe Natalie in the baby seat needs to be on Jared's bike and then it would even things out a little more and you wouldn't be so nervous about going downhill. I was always so extra scared about wiping out with a kid on the back.

    Thanks for an enjoyable post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've been having fun! I would love to see all the sights that you get to see. someday maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the uphill part of the ride Jared and I switched bikes and his is MUCH easier to ride than mine. Jared was standing up to pedal on the hills and poor Natalie was being tossed back and forth! For now the seat stays on my bike, and someday soon she'll be big enough to ride her own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, Sarah. Just thinking of your terror on that bike makes me feel so sad for you. If only I had known, we would NEVER have ridden through Ireland on bikes. You are a mighty brave woman to endure that without a single complaint!

    Tell Jared "thanks" for the phone call to John. John LOVES it when he calls. As we were saying, a TRUE friend indeed.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just getting around to catching up with people's blogs. Mine is another story, but....

    I was so happy to have you in my home and have a friend who I trust and love to talk to too! You are an amazing friend, a great mother and a great inspiration in my life to do and be the best I can. Thanks for loving me enough to come and endure a regular week with me!

    I can't wait to come and see you and the girls in Germany!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades