Space Camp

This week Madison had a field trip to Space Camp in Belgium. It was a long day; she was at school at 5:45 am and didn't get back until 8:00 pm. It was a great day according to Madison. They watched a movie about space flight and the chairs moved so it felt like you were in the spaceship. She had a chance to be strapped into one of those huge rotating things (I wish I knew what they were called). Madison described it like a ball with a harness in the middle. Once she was securely in there it started spinning around every which way. She was very proud that she didn't get motion sickness like some of the other kids did. All the fifth graders divided into small groups to build and launch rockets. Her group named theirs MIB for Men in Black and Madison was excited that she won rock, paper, scissors and got to bring the rocket home with her.


On Thursday Jared, Samantha, Natalie and I went to the nursery here in town and bought a bunch of flowers to plant in the front of the house. Our front steps are half circles going up to the house. The part of the stairs on the side with the door are just stone stairs. The other half of the steps are not really steps at all, but a terraced flower bed. When we moved in it was overgrown with ivy and some other bush that had been planted there. I pulled up as much ivy as I could, trimmed back the bush, and dug out all the old soil and put good new soil in so that we could put in some flowers. We ended up buying lots of marigolds because Jared remembers always having them at his house growing up. The entire project took a long time but it looks nice to have something other than weeds and dirt when we walk up to the house.


Jared and I both signed up for school this week, so we are getting ready to be even more busy! I'm excited to be taking a German class so that I can improve my German skills. This will be my first face to face class, before this I've only taken online courses. Jared needs about one more year to finish his degree, but I think that is one more year of full-time school and he will probably be going less than half time because of work and just life in general.


Saturday our ward Primary had a great activity at the Frankfurt Temple. The girls and I drove to Frankfurt that morning and I dropped them off at a church building right next to the Temple. They spent the day walking around the grounds learning about the history of the Frankfurt Temple and also about why we build temples. It was such a great Primary activity, and I'm so grateful to have wonderful Primary leaders in our ward who took the time to plan it. During the activity Natalie and I went to the Distribution Center and walked around the temple as well. She and I had a fun time together and it was nice to be at the temple.


I'm the Education Counselor in our Relief Society and since I was called in January we've had only one Sunday teacher. It's been an ongoing struggle to find teachers and to get names submitted and approved. So I've been begging a different person every week to teach the lesson. I really don't like calling and asking anyone for help so it's been difficult for me. It has been nice to learn from so many different sisters; to learn more about them and to get a different perspective each week. This Sunday we got two more teachers called!! I'm so glad to have all the teachers we are supposed to and I'm grateful that I won't have to continue looking for substitutes.


So, a pretty routine week but I need weeks like that to balance out the crazy ones.

Comments

  1. I love how you say, "it has been a pretty routine week", but it includes a space trip to Belgium! That is so awesome. How many people get to go to a different countries on a regular basis? How fun for Madison. I'm so jealous!

    That is awesome that you are taking German. I took it in high school and college and I loved it, but I am sad to say that I don't remember a whole lot of it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flowers and Trey would be so jealous of Madison going to space camp! he loves anything space.

    I am going to be going back to school this fall and I can't wait, but I am nervous. I am just going to the community college and I'm going to get a certificate in medical billing and coding. It will take one year, but Don has asked around lately and it is the kind of industry that is always looking for people. I hope it all goes well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades