Blessings
Lately I’ve been feeling very grumpy and just down about everything. So I decided that to help snap me out of this funk I would write about some of the good things that have happened recently. I feel as if being happy is a choice and I need to choose it, but maybe a little reminder of how good things really are is what I need. 
So, silly kids put a smile on my face and Abigail has to be the silliest one I know. We were working on organizing the toys in Samantha and Natalie’s room. First we found a home for the toys and then we took pictures of them. I printed out wallet sized pictures so we could have picture labels of where things belong. That way even the non-readers will know where things go. Abby took a little break from the work for some silly time and we got a picture of her hanging upside down from the side of the bed. A lot of the time I try to get Abigail to stop being so silly, but I think I should be more like her and spend some of my time being silly. Abigail is someone to be happy about.
When we first moved in the stairs scared me because the space in between seemed big enough for Natalie or Samantha to fall right through. And while it probably is big enough for someone to squeeze in between the steps, now I think they are the best stairs ever because they double as a great drawing desk for the kids. Maybe the next time we have people over for dinner I should use the stairs for seating instead of a kid’s table! Having a versatile staircase is something to be happy about.
We took advantage of a recent sunny Saturday to go to Pirmasens, a town about half an hour from here. Besides being a short and beautiful drive from our house, it was a really pretty town. There was a large pedestrian area in the center of town with these beautiful cobblestone streets. Instead of just plain stones there were white stones as well that were laid in cool swirly patterns. The girls had a great time running around on only the white paths. The center of the pedestrian area had a really beautiful fountain that we spent some time hanging around. Having the chance to live here in Germany and see beautiful places and meet wonderful people is something to be happy about. 
Most days not having window screens is something for me to complain about because of all the flies, bees, and other assorted creepy crawlies that find their way into our house. But when Jared’s in the backyard and Emily is in her room upstairs they can still play catch. If we had screens on our windows we would not have been able to have a great time throwing the ball back and forth. So the next time I’m tempted to whine about not having screens I will instead remember that sometimes not having screens is something to be happy about.
In case anyone didn’t already know, Natalie loves chocolate. I’m a very bad mommy and I let her eat her first M&M when she was about nine (okay, maybe six) months old. Her love of chocolate was immediate and has only gotten stronger. Love at first bite (ha ha ha)! Sometimes I feel like falling to the floor and crying when I can’t have chocolate, but as far as I can remember I never have. Natalie on the other hand, often cries when there is no chocolate to be had. I also love chocolate and I’m glad that Natalie and I have something in common. Sharing an interest (love, obsession, whatever you want to call it) with your child is something to be happy about.
Our girls are really good girls, it’s not all tantrums and silliness. I really appreciate all the help they give me and Jared around the house. Besides their regular chores, I can always count on them to help out when I ask, and sometimes without even being asked. Abigail set a lovely table the other day. There were fancily folded napkins, matching plastic ware for Natalie, and even flowers. This was one of the without being asked times, which to me are about as wonderful as Jared’s favorite - the unsolicited I love you. Children who say “I love you” without hearing it from you first or who do something nice (like set a beautiful table) are something to be happy about.
I’m already feeling better, I think I need to remember to “count my many blessings” more often.
You are right Sarah, there are many blessings to be happy about! I have been quite grumpy myself, I am glad that I am not the only one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your cute pictures!
ReplyDeleteBecky
Thanks for sharing, it put a huge smile on my face! I miss you tons and hope to dig myself out of my huge pile of debt so that we can come visit, but don't get your hopes up! I'm sure your weren't
ReplyDelete