Thanksgiving
This year for Thanksgiving I had two turkeys to make; one for a squadron party and one for our family. I planned ahead and took them out of the freezer the Saturday before Thanksgiving but they still weren't quite thawed when I was ready to roast them. In the past I've just done a cold water thaw in the kitchen sink. At our house here we don't have a double sink and the one sink that we do have is maybe 10 inches deep, so the thawing wasn't happening there. I ended up putting the turkeys inside our cooler and the cooler in the bathtub so that I could thaw them out. It worked really well, so well that I might always do that, even when I have regular sized kitchen fixtures!

Thanksgiving turned out great. I decided to make some things myself that I've always used mixes for before. So the gravy wasn't from a jar and the stuffing was bread that I cut up and then let sit for a few days so it would get crunchy before we seasoned and cooked it. We also made a French Silk Pie that was really good, but a lot of work (constantly stirring for what seemed like an hour!) so I don't know if I'll make that one again. The gravy was so good, so so good, that I can't believe I used to think that store bought gravy was alright. It was, by far, my favorite part of the meal. The stuffing was alright, but not that much different from the Pepperidge farm stuffing that I usually buy.
During dinner we did the traditional what are you thankful conversation and we got pretty much the standard answers. Family, church, friends, etc. When Jared got to Natalie I thought he should just skip her, because does she really know what thankful means? But he asked her and she said, "I thankful for Jesus Christ. He my friend and lives at the Temple." At the time it made me laugh because it was so unexpected and out of the blue. Now I think that I should not underestimate what my kids are able to know and feel.
Last month Jared ran into an old Scout (Jared's first Eagle Scout) of his from when we lived in Hawaii, Cy Eckhardt. He's stationed here now with the Air Force and is single so we invited him to join us for Thanksgiving. The kids were typical kids and were a little shy at first, but after a bit all the girls had a good time with Cy, especially Natalie. Every time I would talk to her she would grab Cy's hand and say, "I'm talking to him, not you."
So, all in all, a pretty good Thanksgiving. The food was good and it was fun to cook and bake with my girls. We learned about making pies and bread and how to plan out when to start each dish so that they will all be done around the same time. Emily helped me roast the turkeys and she thinks that we should write a letter to the Butterball people: "Dear Butterball people, I really don't need the neck and heart and other gross stuff you leave inside the turkey. I will never use it, but every year I have to stick my hand inside a dead bird and pull those slimy bags out. Please consider selling undisgusting turkeys next year. Sincerely, Emily Moran." I wonder if she will ever really write that letter and if they would listen . . .
Thanksgiving turned out great. I decided to make some things myself that I've always used mixes for before. So the gravy wasn't from a jar and the stuffing was bread that I cut up and then let sit for a few days so it would get crunchy before we seasoned and cooked it. We also made a French Silk Pie that was really good, but a lot of work (constantly stirring for what seemed like an hour!) so I don't know if I'll make that one again. The gravy was so good, so so good, that I can't believe I used to think that store bought gravy was alright. It was, by far, my favorite part of the meal. The stuffing was alright, but not that much different from the Pepperidge farm stuffing that I usually buy.
During dinner we did the traditional what are you thankful conversation and we got pretty much the standard answers. Family, church, friends, etc. When Jared got to Natalie I thought he should just skip her, because does she really know what thankful means? But he asked her and she said, "I thankful for Jesus Christ. He my friend and lives at the Temple." At the time it made me laugh because it was so unexpected and out of the blue. Now I think that I should not underestimate what my kids are able to know and feel.
Last month Jared ran into an old Scout (Jared's first Eagle Scout) of his from when we lived in Hawaii, Cy Eckhardt. He's stationed here now with the Air Force and is single so we invited him to join us for Thanksgiving. The kids were typical kids and were a little shy at first, but after a bit all the girls had a good time with Cy, especially Natalie. Every time I would talk to her she would grab Cy's hand and say, "I'm talking to him, not you."
So, all in all, a pretty good Thanksgiving. The food was good and it was fun to cook and bake with my girls. We learned about making pies and bread and how to plan out when to start each dish so that they will all be done around the same time. Emily helped me roast the turkeys and she thinks that we should write a letter to the Butterball people: "Dear Butterball people, I really don't need the neck and heart and other gross stuff you leave inside the turkey. I will never use it, but every year I have to stick my hand inside a dead bird and pull those slimy bags out. Please consider selling undisgusting turkeys next year. Sincerely, Emily Moran." I wonder if she will ever really write that letter and if they would listen . . .
Comments
Post a Comment