A Little Hormonal

Oh Emily. Our sweet, sweet, Emily. What happened to you? Where did the nice you go and when will she be coming back? This week I took Emily in to get her haircut. It was LONG overdue, I think it has been a year since she had a haircut. Since her hair is a little curly, it didn't look too bad but she really did need a trim at the very least.

The stylist brought out the booster for Emily to sit on. Emily heaved a big sigh (sorry Emily, but you're short!) and climbed up in the chair. She crossed her arms across her chest and looked angry. The nice stylist asked Emily what she wanted to have done. Emily talked to her about long swoopy bangs and hair just below her chin. I left them to it and went to sit and read a two-year-old magazine while I waited.

A while later I saw Emily walking towards me crying, her coat on and the hood up, with the stylist close behind. Emily wouldn't even talk to me and the poor lady who cut her hair was trying to reassure me that Emily would like it better once we got her home and had a chance to style her hair. I thanked her and tried to explain that Emily is just stupid, I mean sensitive, about things like this.

For the next two hours Emily refused to talk, refused to take her hood off her head and just cried and cried. When Emily acts this way I don't want to deal with it at all and would be happier if she would just go somewhere where I don't have to see her until she is ready to be normal again. Thankfully when we got home Jared convinced her to take her jacket off and show us her hair. And what did it look like, you must be wondering, to make her so very upset? Hmmm, swoopy bangs and cut to just below her chin exactly as she had asked for.

"Mom it's so short! And it takes so long for my hair to grow! Everyone at school is going to think it looks terrible!" She went on and on about it until I couldn't listen anymore. I'm so grateful that Jared is able to talk with her when she gets this way, I have a feeling that he's going to have a lot of work to do as we move into her teens. Jared showed Emily some pictures of himself from high school when he had skater hair. It might be hard to imagine, but at one point Jared had hair down to his chin (wow, just like Emily). Then he showed her a picture of himself about halfway through his mission when he first started to lose his hair. Then he had her look at his hair now and asked her why she was so upset. Apparently, Jared is the one who should be crying about his hair!

Fast forward to the next day when Emily came home from school. "Mom, everyone said my hair looked really good! Since it was curly today can you straighten it tomorrow?" All memories of the tears and frustration were gone. We found our sweet Emily again and I'm hoping she sticks around for a long, long time.

Comments

  1. Of course we all would love a before and after picture, please! Don't you think that girls get hormones much sooner these days??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades