Women's History Month 5K

Jared was on the committee for Women's History Month for the base here. I know he's not a girl but he loves a bunch of girls so it seemed like a good fit for him. He helped to coordinate the 5K that was held as part of the celebrations. The night before we were talking about what we were going to do for the weekend and Jared says, "Oh yeah, I'm working on this 5K thing and I thought we'd all run it." Okay, so 5K is not that far, but I had just gotten back from my trip to the States and I didn't want to run at all so I would like to make some excuses now. I was terribly jetlagged, I had just begun my annual " it's Easter time I'd better eat as many Cadbury MiniEggs as I can before they're gone until next Easter" diet, and I did not relish the thought of running/walking with Natalie and Samantha (this fell to me because Jared would be trying to get a good time for his run!). So imagine how grateful I was when we woke up to RAIN on Saturday; I was now off the hook!

So while Samantha, Natalie, Abigail and I sat in the van and watched Jared, Emily, and Madison (yes, MADISON!) ran the race. I don't like to say this because Jared was one of the people on the race committee, but man that race was disorganized. There was no system for pre-race registration or anything, it was just chaos. Since Jared was in charge of the race clock I ended up being the official timekeeper. That meant I got to document the top three finishers in each of the race categories. There were a bunch of participants despite the rain, which was nice to see, and there were also plenty of kids running so I wasn't too worried about my kids being the very last finishers.

Madison prefers to sit. She likes to sit and read, or sit and watch TV, or sit and play her DS, or even sit and play the piano. She does not like to get up and move which is why I was so proud of her for agreeing to run the race and then for finishing. Her time wasn't the best and I don't think she had any fun at all, but she did it!

Emily, on the other hand, loves to move. She will run around the house if she can't run around outside. She begs to ride her bike even when it's cold and snowy. She ran a 5k with Jared in October so she knew she could do it and she was excited to see how many people she could beat!




Comments

  1. Three cheers for Madison and Emily! That's awesome! Just let Madison know that if she hated the experience as much as my kids have in the past, she'll find great pride in it further down the road.

    That pic of Emily is frameable. Such joi de vivre!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades