Seasons and Times

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
--Ecclesiastes 3:1

That one little verse in the Old Testament has been running through my mind this week as I have been thinking about all the time I spend working on my schooling. Is right now the season for me to go to college? Has that season come and gone - did I miss the boat when we got married and had our sweet babies? Will it come around again at some point? Is this time, is right now, the time for me to fulfill this purpose? Are there other things that belong in this season, other purposes for this time of my life?

When I first started school two years ago I was so excited - each week I would get to work on my assignments early Monday morning, my papers were finished and ready to be turned in way before the deadline - I loved the work and I was excited about what I was learning. School has been way at the bottom of my priority list this week, and maybe even longer than that. I've been putting off my schoolwork to the very last minute, not because I don't have time to do the work, but because I just don't feel like doing it anymore.

Most mornings while the kids are at school I try to devote at least an hour to school. I'll read my textbook or work on the week's assignment, something to feel as if I've used my time well. Natalie and Samantha didn't have school this week so I had more time with them around than I am used to having. Instead of sitting down and working on school I've been playing with them. We played board games, read books, I taught them how to thread a needle and we sewed a little Christmas ornament, we made piles of paper snowflakes and a humongous paper chain, we cuddled on the couch and watched movies, we did each other's hair and makeup - we had fun together and it was wonderful.

Today I knew that I really needed to be serious and get some school work done. After breakfast I got out my books and sat down at the computer when Sam came to me and asked if I would play Lego Rock Band with them. I had something to do, something important even, but being with my kids seems more important right now. I got up and rocked out on the guitar and microphone, Samantha was amazing on the drums, and Natalie was the best backup dancer ever.

I feel that this week has been really good for them, and for me. Overall, I've been more patient with all the kids, the house has been cleaner, and I've been happier. It gets me thinking that I need to switch my focus and worry about school later, in a different season of life. But then I think about this counsel to women from President Monson: "I urge you to pursue your education if you are not already doing so or have not done so." That is pretty clear - get an education. So what should I do now? I know that there are times and seasons for everything and I don't really feel that this is the best season for me to be busy with college, but I've also been told to pursue an education. I'm feeling lost about this and would love some advice so comment away please!

Comments

  1. Sarah,

    "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both and be on traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth.

    Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them realy about the same.

    And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I keopt the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

    I shall be telling this with a sign
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

    Frost's poem seems very apt here. Your in a siguation where no matter what you decide to do, you'll have regrets.

    You're right: you should persue an education, and you should also enjoy your children. Maybe the decider here should be which one you can postpone. You can always go to school later, but your children will only be where they are right now once, and you shouldn't miss it.

    Having said that, you've been fortunate to have most of your schooling paid for by someone else. It's really expensive when you're paying for it yourself, so you'd probably be wise to continue--maybe on a more part time basis--until the money runs out.

    This hasn't been much help, has it?

    Love,

    Mom
    0

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades