St. Nikolaus Day
Every year on the 5th of December Germans celebrate St. Nikolaus Day. It's the day that Santa Claus comes to town around here. That night all the kids put their shoes outside and then St. Nikolaus fills them with goodies. It's a fun holiday that my kids enjoy - unfortunately, it always catches me by surprise and I'm not prepared with treats to put in their shoes.
The girls put their shoes out on the front steps and I sent them to bed. Then I started frantically searching for stuff to put out there - I found some candy and a few other little things. It wasn't much, but I figured it would have to do. In the morning their shoes were overflowing with chocolate santas, chocolate christmas tree ornaments, cookies, nuts, and fruits. I love my wonderful neighbors who always remember our kids!
The girls put their shoes out on the front steps and I sent them to bed. Then I started frantically searching for stuff to put out there - I found some candy and a few other little things. It wasn't much, but I figured it would have to do. In the morning their shoes were overflowing with chocolate santas, chocolate christmas tree ornaments, cookies, nuts, and fruits. I love my wonderful neighbors who always remember our kids!
You have such sweet neighbors! I would forget too.
ReplyDeleteThe German teacher at my school comes around to the teachers, makes us take a shoe off, and puts a candy cane in our shoe. It makes me laugh every year.
Oh my goodness. It's no wonder you don't want to leave that house (despite the crazy drive). What wonderful neighbors you have! (I always forget too, especially here in PA. My girls (who are in German classes) are always reminded by their teachers. I think the teachers should remind the parents too!)
ReplyDelete