Sewing for Me

I love to sew, but usually I do not make things for myself. Baby gifts, clothes for the girls, pillows and other things for around the house, but not stuff for me and certainly not clothing for myself. Twice in the past I have attempted to make actual clothing that I could wear. The first time was when I was in Young Women for a YW in Excellence project. That dress did not turn out well and should never be talked about or even thought of by anyone who might have happened to see it. The second time was when I was pregnant with Madison - I bought a pattern and some fabric and tried to make a maternity shirt and pants. The shirt was alright, but very, very tent like. I like to tell myself it was just the way things were way back in 1998; all maternity clothing had to resemble a large tent. The pants were such a mess that it wasn't even possible to wear them.

Here it is, almost 14 years later, and I have finally worked up the courage to try again. My friend Annee (who, by the way, can do anything and is totally amazing) has a wonderful sewing blog called Made on Maple. Check it out if you have time; Annee and her friend Liz make just beautiful things and have links to lots of other great sewing blogs as well. Anyway, I enjoyed seeing a couple of variations on the pattern for the Schoolhouse Tunic on Annee's blog so I ordered the pattern, found some fabric, and got sewing. I cut out the pattern one late evening while I was waiting for Madison to come home from babysitting and sewed the tunic the next day. It took a few hours to put together, and I only had to unpick my work once!
First, please don't judge my photography skills or my lovely basement where this picture was taken. It's the best I could do - Abigail's attempts at taking the picture for me were not working out! I originally wanted this to be a dress, but there just wasn't quite enough fabric for that. When I make the pattern again, and I'm sure I will because I like it that much, I will probably get 3.5 yards so that I can be sure to have enough length for a dress. All in all, I really enjoyed this pattern and the experience of making something for myself. Once I have cleared my long sewing to-do list I will be sewing for me again.

Comments

  1. Super super cute Sarah! Good job! I wish I could sew like that, I also wish I had a sewing machine so I could haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute shirt! I love it! You did an amazing job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just adorable! Great talking to you today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabric! Very cute. It's always fun to make stuff for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you made one! I hope you'll make more. It's such a great pattern. You look great in it too!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades