Earlier this month Jared had a conference to attend in Southern Germany and I went along with him. We left this kids with some wonderful friends here and enjoyed some time for just the two of us. We really didn't do too much. Jared was in conference sessions during the day time, so we only had the evenings to have fun together. I brought my sewing machine with me, set it up in the room, and spent most of my days working on some projects. I even found a fabric store in town and bought a few things. We stayed at the military's resort in Garmisch, the Edelweiss. It's surrounded by the Alps and is a destination for winter sports. In fact, the 1936 Winter Olympics were held in Garmisch.
 |
| I expected the resort to look something like this in mid-December, but there wasn't any snow while we were there. |
 |
The lobby of the hotel is really impressive, especially at Christmastime. The tree is huge and the fireplace was just perfect.
While we were there we went to the Garmisch Christmas Market, which was kind of small, but still good. The Kindergluhwein was more like hot apple cider, with much less berry flavor than I'm used to around here. We also drove the hour to Munich one night and I loved it! I really want to go back and explore the city more when we have a day or two to see more. The city itself was beautiful and the Christmas Markets (there were four that we found) were great too.
|
 |
| It's like a castle wall in the middle of a city! I love the turrets. |
 |
| For the first time in our lives we tried roasted chestnuts. Jared's face here pretty accurately describes how much we liked them. They were so good - a little salty, almost meaty, warm, and chewy. |
 |
| This was the second and smallest market we found in Munich. The potato pancakes were the best we've ever had. |
 |
| At another market we saw this gigantic Christmas Pyramid |
 |
| A friendly couple took this picture of us in an old sleigh. I wasn't sure we were allowed to sit in it, but there wasn't a sign saying we couldn't so we jumped right in. |
 |
| This is the new city hall, but it looks pretty old to me to be the new anything. |
I had to laugh when I saw that you jumped in the sleigh (since there wasn't a sign saying you couldn't). Reminds me of a big, round wheel in a big, old crane in one Polish city...
ReplyDeleteI know, I thought the same thing! I said to Jared, "Do you think we could get in for a picture?" And he answered, "There's not a sign saying we can't!"
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures, it looks beautiful there. Glad you got to spend some time with out kids and be with Jared. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!
ReplyDelete