Fully Integrated
Jared has decided that we're finally "fully integrated" into our little community here. It all started earlier this month at the fest to celebrate our Kindergarten's 20th anniversary. As I wrote about here, I was asked to play the piano for the fest. Natalie and Samantha both took part in the program that day as well.
Samantha sang with a small group of kids from her school who had attended the kindergarten in the past few years. Samantha and the other elementary school kids sang with the women's choir here in town. The first little bit of integration was when they got up to sing - Frau Meyer, the lead kindergarten teacher, asked me to sing with them since I'd been there for all the practices.
After the two opening songs, there were lots of speeches. I've learned that at any German gathering there will be people making long speeches. Three separate speeches to begin our little celebration. One from our town's mayor, one from the mayor of the next town over, and one from Frau Meyer. Sign of integration number two - when Frau Meyer mentioned me in her speech. She thanked me not only for playing the piano that day but also for coming each week to sing English songs with the kids and called me a member of their kindergarten team.
Finally, it was time for the kindergarten kids to put on their show, "Malvida, The Color Queen." I was nervous about playing in front of everyone, but I think it went fairly well. I didn't make any major mistakes and there was just one little hiccup when I couldn't find a piece of music. But then, hooray, I found it right before it was time to sing the song! I was worried that she wouldn't, but Natalie did a great job. She didn't make funny faces, or talk to the kids sitting by her, or get stage fright and refuse to go on stage. After being there for all the practices and seeing how she behaved then, I wasn't so sure how she'd do. I guess I didn't need to worry. She sat nicely, played her xylophone just right, and sang nice and loud during her yellow song with the other two yellow girls.
After the show there were, of course, more speeches. They were kind of long and boring but they contained more integration, when I was again thanked and given a lovely bouquet. The last little bit of integration came after all the clapping was over and it was time to enjoy the bratwurst and cakes. The director of the women's choir came up and asked me what I do on Tuesday nights because he liked the sound of my voice when I was singing with the kids earlier and wanted me to join the women's choir. Now I spend my Tuesdays singing German songs with a bunch of (mostly) elderly ladies. They are all really sweet and are very patient with my bad German. So now, according to Jared, we're fully integrated into our German community and it only took three and a half years!
Samantha sang with a small group of kids from her school who had attended the kindergarten in the past few years. Samantha and the other elementary school kids sang with the women's choir here in town. The first little bit of integration was when they got up to sing - Frau Meyer, the lead kindergarten teacher, asked me to sing with them since I'd been there for all the practices.
After the two opening songs, there were lots of speeches. I've learned that at any German gathering there will be people making long speeches. Three separate speeches to begin our little celebration. One from our town's mayor, one from the mayor of the next town over, and one from Frau Meyer. Sign of integration number two - when Frau Meyer mentioned me in her speech. She thanked me not only for playing the piano that day but also for coming each week to sing English songs with the kids and called me a member of their kindergarten team.
Finally, it was time for the kindergarten kids to put on their show, "Malvida, The Color Queen." I was nervous about playing in front of everyone, but I think it went fairly well. I didn't make any major mistakes and there was just one little hiccup when I couldn't find a piece of music. But then, hooray, I found it right before it was time to sing the song! I was worried that she wouldn't, but Natalie did a great job. She didn't make funny faces, or talk to the kids sitting by her, or get stage fright and refuse to go on stage. After being there for all the practices and seeing how she behaved then, I wasn't so sure how she'd do. I guess I didn't need to worry. She sat nicely, played her xylophone just right, and sang nice and loud during her yellow song with the other two yellow girls.
After the show there were, of course, more speeches. They were kind of long and boring but they contained more integration, when I was again thanked and given a lovely bouquet. The last little bit of integration came after all the clapping was over and it was time to enjoy the bratwurst and cakes. The director of the women's choir came up and asked me what I do on Tuesday nights because he liked the sound of my voice when I was singing with the kids earlier and wanted me to join the women's choir. Now I spend my Tuesdays singing German songs with a bunch of (mostly) elderly ladies. They are all really sweet and are very patient with my bad German. So now, according to Jared, we're fully integrated into our German community and it only took three and a half years!
Comments
Post a Comment