Driving in America
When we first moved to Germany one of the biggest stresses was getting a driver's license and learning the German rules of the road. After almost four year here this time around, I like to think that I'm almost a native German driver. I was worried about coming back to the States and not remembering how to drive in America. For the first day or so I was a little timid behind the wheel but I quickly remembered how things work around here. I also quickly realized what I like so much about driving in Germany and started wishing that some things were different in America. Here's the things I miss about driving in Germany:
1. Traffic lights that turn to yellow before they turn red AND before they turn green. I really appreciate the warning that it's time to stop and the reminder that it's time to go. I can't even tell you how many times I've been sitting at a light and feel surprised by the green. A simple yellow light would help to get me and all the other drivers ready for the green.
2. Speaking of traffic lights, there are waaaay to many here. Most of the intersections that have a traffic light or a four-way stop could be made so much simpler with a traffic circle. Instead of sitting and waiting, and waiting, and waiting for my light to turn green I could be driving down the road after quickly and simply making my way around a traffic circle.
3. The last thing I miss? People who know when and how to use the left lane. It's for passing, not for hanging out and driving in for miles and miles. If you need to pass then by all means, move over to the left lane, pass that slow truck or whoever, and then get back in the right lane.
Okay, that's all and now I am done complaining. Thanks for listening.
1. Traffic lights that turn to yellow before they turn red AND before they turn green. I really appreciate the warning that it's time to stop and the reminder that it's time to go. I can't even tell you how many times I've been sitting at a light and feel surprised by the green. A simple yellow light would help to get me and all the other drivers ready for the green.
2. Speaking of traffic lights, there are waaaay to many here. Most of the intersections that have a traffic light or a four-way stop could be made so much simpler with a traffic circle. Instead of sitting and waiting, and waiting, and waiting for my light to turn green I could be driving down the road after quickly and simply making my way around a traffic circle.
3. The last thing I miss? People who know when and how to use the left lane. It's for passing, not for hanging out and driving in for miles and miles. If you need to pass then by all means, move over to the left lane, pass that slow truck or whoever, and then get back in the right lane.
Okay, that's all and now I am done complaining. Thanks for listening.
Comments
Post a Comment