Look What I Can Do!
A few months ago I was mentioning to a friend of mine how my girls all needed haircuts, but I hated to spend 16 Euro (about $20) for each haircut. That really adds up fast. She told me that she cuts her girls hair herself and that I could easily do the same. I was pretty skeptical, I can do lots of things but I'm pretty sure cutting hair isn't one of them. However, my sweet friend was really encouraging and gave me some useful tips so I decided to give it a try. Except for curly haired Emily, I gave all the girls haircuts. They were simple cuts, really I just trimmed off a few inches from each kid so it was nothing special.
Fast forward a couple of months and they were all needed their hair cut again, especially Emily who hadn't gotten her hair cut along with her sisters that last time. I started with Samantha. Her hair is thin, really thin and the longer it gets the worse it looks. I decided to cut off a lot of her hair and gave her a chin-length bob. Here's the before and after pictures.
The next day Emily came to me and told me that she really wanted layers and could I please trim her bangs. I found a video on You Tube and watched it a couple of times to get the technique down before I started cutting; it could have been a huge disaster. I kept thinking how bad I would feel if I had to make her an appointment with a hair professional and tell them that I'd messed up my daughter's hair because I thought watching a video on You Tube was enough to give a good haircut. I don't have a picture, but it actually turned out really well. It helped that she already had layers and bangs from her last haircut and all I really needed to do was follow them as a guide.
Then Madison came to me and asked if I'd cut her hair as well. I was so excited! She never wants me to do anything to her hair and here she was asking me to cut layers and she also said, "I've been thinking about getting bangs." I picked the scissors back up and got cutting. I was surprised at how much easier it was to cut Madison's hair than it was to cut Emily's - I think it was a combination of already having done it before on Emily and that Madison's hair is straight and not curly like Emily's hair.
![]() |
| Madison's post cut self-portrait |

Comments
Post a Comment