Halloween 2012
So Halloween is not my favorite holiday. I like it, but I'm not crazy about Halloween like some people seem to be. I do love the candy, but I don't like spooky or scary stuff, dressing up, and having to walk around in the cold to get the candy I love so much. However, I have kids and Halloween is a holiday they all enjoy very much. So we get dressed up, go out in the cold, and collect as much candy as we can.
This year, like all the other years we've lived here, we participated in our ward's trunk or treat. Halloween is a very American holiday so trick or treating in our neighborhood doesn't work out very well. We can trick or treat on base, but it's a crazy experience. Imagine a community of 50,000 people all converging on one neighborhood to trick or treat and you'll get some idea of what it's like on Halloween on base. The church trunk or treat is a good middle option - just enough people participating to have fun but not so many that I worry about losing a child or getting trampled.
This year we had a bride, a cowgirl, a black cat, and a ladybug. We also had Madison dressed up as Persephone, the goddess of spring, but she didn't come to the trunk or treat and I forgot to get a picture of her in costume.
Natalie loved, loved, loved, being a ladybug fairy. I loved the polka dot tights and think she should wear them all year, not just at Halloween.
Samantha looks a little less joyous than I'd expect a bride to look. I promise she was happy and had a good Halloween! We found the dress at the thrift store for a couple of dollars and all the accessories at a local toy store.
Abigail put together her outfit entirely from things we already had at home. Emily wore a similar costume last year, but I think Abigail has the cowgirl attitude down better.
Emily wore the standard teenage girl costume that's not really a costume - cat ears and a tail. She did make it a little more fun by adding the cat whisker glasses and a collar.
The girls got a decent amount of candy which they spent some time trading back and forth so everyone ended up with their favorites. Jared was actually out of town on Halloween so he wasn't here to collect his usual "daddy tax" of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Most of the kids quickly ate their peanut butter cups so they wouldn't gave to give any up; Abigail set all of hers aside and gave them to Jared when he came home five days later.
Now that our single sad jack-o-lantern has started to get mushy, the Halloween season is officially over and we're moving on to November and Thanksgiving!
This year, like all the other years we've lived here, we participated in our ward's trunk or treat. Halloween is a very American holiday so trick or treating in our neighborhood doesn't work out very well. We can trick or treat on base, but it's a crazy experience. Imagine a community of 50,000 people all converging on one neighborhood to trick or treat and you'll get some idea of what it's like on Halloween on base. The church trunk or treat is a good middle option - just enough people participating to have fun but not so many that I worry about losing a child or getting trampled.
This year we had a bride, a cowgirl, a black cat, and a ladybug. We also had Madison dressed up as Persephone, the goddess of spring, but she didn't come to the trunk or treat and I forgot to get a picture of her in costume.
Natalie loved, loved, loved, being a ladybug fairy. I loved the polka dot tights and think she should wear them all year, not just at Halloween.
Samantha looks a little less joyous than I'd expect a bride to look. I promise she was happy and had a good Halloween! We found the dress at the thrift store for a couple of dollars and all the accessories at a local toy store.
Abigail put together her outfit entirely from things we already had at home. Emily wore a similar costume last year, but I think Abigail has the cowgirl attitude down better.
Emily wore the standard teenage girl costume that's not really a costume - cat ears and a tail. She did make it a little more fun by adding the cat whisker glasses and a collar.
The girls got a decent amount of candy which they spent some time trading back and forth so everyone ended up with their favorites. Jared was actually out of town on Halloween so he wasn't here to collect his usual "daddy tax" of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Most of the kids quickly ate their peanut butter cups so they wouldn't gave to give any up; Abigail set all of hers aside and gave them to Jared when he came home five days later.
Now that our single sad jack-o-lantern has started to get mushy, the Halloween season is officially over and we're moving on to November and Thanksgiving!
That is so sweet of Abigail! Was Jared super happy?
ReplyDeleteI think he's more interested in collecting the tax than eating the candies. He just reminded everyone that things like that are why Abigail's his favorite!
Delete