Opel


November 27 - Our family loves to play games and we recently started playing a new one that even our youngest kids can play.  It’s different from the types of games we usually play because it’s not a card game or a board game.  Instead we’ve been playing a game that we made up ourselves that we can play in the car as we drive all over Germany - to and from soccer, play practice, church, school, and everywhere else in between.  It’s called the Opel Game and it all started, as so many things in our family do, with Natalie.

Jared drives a sweet 1994 Opel hatchback that we affectionately call the dragon because of the amazing seat covers which are embroidered with red dragons.  Natalie loves that car more than I thought it was possible for a five-year-old girl to love a car.  Part of what she loves about it is the Opel logo which is a lightning bolt inside a circle. Before she knew that our car was an Opel she called it the lightning bolt car.  Anyway, she started calling out “Opel” every time we would pass one on the way to school.  Finding Opels quickly turned into one of her favorite things to do.  Soon enough, everyone was joining Natalie in playing the Opel Game. 
Another picture today that isn't exactly a picture I took with our camera.  I really need to remember to buy batteries next time I'm out.

There’s a big Opel factory in Kaiserslautern where engines are built, so there are lots of Opel employees driving Opel cars everywhere we go.  Last week, on one drive to church and back home again, we counted over 150 Opels.  However, we don’t usually work together on the Opel Game.  Instead it’s really competitive and the rule is every Moran for him or herself.  The first person to see one and call out “Opel!” gets one point.  If you incorrectly call a car, and for example call a VW an Opel, you lose two points. 

Even when the kids are not in the car, we still find ourselves playing the game.  We’ve even gotten some of our friends in on it as well.  Recently, Jared and I were out for a date night.  As we were driving in the car our conversation sounded something like this:  “So, how was – opel – work today?”  “It was pretty – opel, opel – good.  I made a lot of progress – opel, opel, opel – on the PDS (or some other crazy Air Force acronym) that I need to finish up next week.”  We really do see lots of Opels in a row as we drive around; I think the record is six.  I’m sure anyone can imagine the rest of our conversation.   So if you’re ever driving in our car, be prepared to hear “opel!” over and over again as we play our new favorite game!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades