Preparation

November 18 - I remember my mom quoting Doctrine and Covenants 38:30 often when I was a kid, mostly the very end part that states "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear."  I first remember her saying this when we lived in Florida - I must have been four or five - and I continued to hear her repeat those words throughout my years growing up.  When I was younger I wondered what my mom was trying so hard not to be afraid of that she needed to be preparing all the time.  Now I can see that Doctrine and Covenants 38:30 is applicable in so many aspects of my life.  When I have to teach a lesson, give a talk, or perform in public I feel nervous, but nearly as nervous as I would if I hadn't been prepared. We move a lot with the military and while a move is never fun, it is so much easier and not nearly as stressful when we're prepared.

Lately I've  felt this pressing need to be more prepared in the food storage and emergency preparedness departments.  I keep getting the feeling that it's going to be a hard winter and that we need to get ready.  So I did an inventory of our food storage, made a really long list, and restocked our supplies.  We now have enough food to last us about two months.  We might have to eat a lot of beans, rice, pasta, and oatmeal but we'll at least have food in our bellies.

Here's one shelf full of food sitting in our basement.
I feel a little like a squirrel gathering nuts for winter.  There's something satisfying to me about the food all lined up in neat rows.  So we're set for food, next I need toilet paper and water then I'll really feel ready for whatever might happen.  In the end, we might not have a hard winter and I might never know why I felt the need to sock away so much food.  But, as always, the scriptures are right and there is a good, safe feeling in being prepared for whatever might come your way.

Comments

  1. Ben and I have been feeling the same way. I've been going crazy reading food storage blogs and stocking up with sales and coupons. Hopefully we won't have to use it but if we do I'll be super grateful it's there! Check out the blog: dealstomeals.blogspot.com LOTS of great preparedness ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades