Sewing

November 10 - Since we moved here four years ago I've started sewing much more than I ever did before. It helps that for the first time I have space for my sewing machine and other supplies to be out all the time instead of having to share space on the dining room table.  It's easier to get started on a project when I don't first have to get everything out and then clear it up again so we can eat dinner.   In the past I sewed when I had to and mostly did things like sewing patches onto uniforms for Jared, hemming pants, or making simple curtains to fit the windows in yet another new house.  Now I sew whenever I can because I enjoy it and I love making something that is both beautiful and functional.

Unfortunately, life gets busy and I find it hard to make the time to sit down and sew as often as I would like.  I've started using sewing as an incentive to get other things that are less enjoyable (like schoolwork, mopping floors, and laundry) finished and of my to do list.  This weekend I made a little deal with myself - once my schoolwork was completed, I could sit down at my sewing table and make something.  A few months ago Jared surprised me with a Kindle Fire so I passed my old Kindle down to Emily.  I've been wanting to make her a cute cover for it but hadn't found the time or the right pattern for a cover.  I wanted something that would protect it and make it easy to hold and read or prop up on a table.  I found this tutorial that fit the bill and I had all the supplies already here at home.



Forty-five minutes, a fat quarter of fabric, an elastic headband, and one old binder later and Emily has a great new cover for her Kindle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades