Christmas 2012
Last year after Christmas I felt like a terrible, consumerist American because of the obscene amount of gifts under our tree. It was way more than anyone needed or even really wanted. This year Jared and I wanted to make things smaller (less gifts given, less money spent) and we did but I still feel as if we could have given the kids less. Maybe next year we'll really cut back?
The girls slept in Christmas morning (hooray!) so we didn't head to the living room and start opening presents until around half past eight. We have a tradition on Christmas morning that whoever finds the pickle ornament gets to open the first present.
I think this year it took longer than ever for them to find the pickle. They just kept looking and couldn't find it anywhere until . . .
Madison found the pickle! I don't think she'd ever found it before so just finding it was pretty exciting plus she got to open the first present of Christmas.
I think she chose the smallest present she had to open and seemed a little disappointed at first when she realized it was only pencils. But then she saw that they were Princess Bride pencils that have things like "Wesley and Buttercup 4-Ever" printed on them. Then we got a big happy smile.
When Jared was in the States for the Marathon in September he bought each of the girls a Nerf Gun for Christmas. We've spent a lot of time over the past few days engaged in Nerf battles and finding Nerf darts all over the place. Jared even bought a gun for me!
I think the girls had a good Christmas. Emily didn't love all of her presents and Samantha did notice that there were less gifts this year than last, but overall everyone had a good day and got at least one present that was a big surprise and fun to open.
Madison can never have enough books to read so an Amazon gift card was an exciting gift for her. She's already loaded up her Kindle with new books to read - now we just have to see how long it takes for her to finish them all.
Emily has been asking and asking us if she can have a Facebook account and we just keep saying no. I think she really thought she might get one when she turned thirteen and was disappointed when her birthday came and went and she still didn't have one. It's safe to say that this was Emily's favorite present of the day.
So we have a house full of readers around here and as much as I love real books, I can't deny the appeal of one lightweight device that holds a library full of books. Abigail put a Kindle on her Christmas list right between a pet monkey and a trip to Greece. I'm glad we could make at least one of her wishes come true.
Samantha got an American Girl doll with all the books to go with her and two extra outfits. Since we're so removed from many things here, she doesn't know what American Girl dolls are but she loves her doll and has played with her every day since Christmas, changing her clothes, fixing her hair, and bringing her along when we go out.
This is the only picture I took of Natalie on Christmas Day so I'm glad it's such a good one! She had a great Christmas and kept saying, "This is the best day ever!" after opening each present. It was a lot like her birthday this year, she loves everything she opened and loves everyone for giving her such wonderful presents.
The rest of the day was filled with playing new board games, watching new movies, and lots of time just being together. Merry Christmas!

I love everyone wearing their scarves! I glad they liked them and they all look so cute with them on!
ReplyDeleteI see you bought into the fiction that Americans are have a lock on consumerism at Christmas time.
ReplyDelete