Natalie celebrated her sixth birthday this weekend after being five and three quarters for what seemed like an eternity. I'm not sure what it is but if seems as if there's something special about being five years old. It was a bittersweet feeling when I tucked her in bed the night before her birthday and she reminded me that this was her last hug and kiss as a five year old. However, it's wonderful to watch her growing up and to have such a sweet funny girl in our family.
This year Natalie was very specific about what she wanted her birthday to be like. For dinner there should be grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. She wanted cupcakes, not cake, for dessert. Natalie also dictated a detailed birthday gift wish list to me. Mostly she wanted polly pockets and chocolate. She woke up on her birthday excited and happy and ready to party. She spent a lot of time reminding everyone that she was six and that the birthday girl gets what she wants. Natalie was dead set on celebrating her birthday at lunch time but Madison and Emily were on a youth temple trip so we had to put off the celebration until they came home around dinnertime.
The best part of the day was the opening of presents. I had the camera ready to take pictures and got lots of cute ones, but I wish I had the video rolling instead. She was so excited about everything she opened - it was hilarious. First she would pick up a present and make a guess about what was inside. Then she would open it up and squeal with delight. After lots of talk about each present being perfect, or what she always wanted, or how much she loved it she would pose with the opened gift for me to take her picture. I'm serious, we should have taken video because it's hard to even describe how happy she was about everything. She was so over the top happy that she had the rest of us laughing and laughing.
 |
| Playing it up for the camera |
 |
| Super excited about her new Freundebuch |
 |
| Polly Pockets! |
 |
| Before opening up her new robe she made a pretty good guess about what was inside when she gave a huge sigh and said, with a twinge of disappointment, "Feels like clothing." |
 |
| I think this new doll from her sisters was her favorite present. After she opened it she kept saying "Yes!" and "Best day ever!" Natalie named her Rose and has played with her almost nonstop since her birthday. |
 |
| Our amazing six year old making a wish! |
Happy Birthday Natalie! What cute girl.
ReplyDeleteHazel loves to have grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for her birthday dinner too!
Happy Birthday to Natalie. she sure looks much older than I remember 1.5 years ago! I am sure Niklas wishes her a wonderful year too!
ReplyDeleteHow freaking adorable!
ReplyDelete