Ice Skating
The week between Christmas and New Year's is maybe my favorite time of year. The busyness of Christmas is over with, the kids are out of school, and there is so much time to just be together as a family. We took advantage of that time one evening last week and went ice skating. Natalie, Samantha, and Abigail had never ice skated before and I had only gone once before so we were all a little shaky and no one skated very fast.
Natalie and Samantha used these penguins to help them stay on their skates. It was a nice way for them to get around the ice without falling and it was nice for me too because I could pretend to be helping them but really just be trying to keep myself from falling down. It worked out pretty well, my goal for the night was simple - just don't fall down - and I didn't fall!
Natalie was not willing to let go of her penguin, but she did get more and more confident as the night went on. By the time we were ready to leave she was moving so fast that I had a hard time keeping up with her. We'll have to go again before the rink closes in February because she keeps asking me when we can go back.
Abigail might have wanted a penguin, but she did really well without one especially for her first time ice skating. She fell down often enough that her bum was sore the next day and her skates left her with some pretty serious blisters. Despite all of that, she still had fun and wants to go skating again.
This was Emily's third time skating so she was the best skater in the family. Emily wore her mint skinny jeans so she would blend in with the locals and I think she only fell once. She spent a lot of time skating with Samantha and I think it was Emily's encouragement that got Samantha to give up the penguin for good.
Ice skating was so much fun and a great break from our usual post-Christmas activities of playing board games and watching movies.
I love those penguins, what a smart idea! I wonder if they have them here. Did Emily get her hair dyed? It looks darker.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I'd let Emily dye her hair just yet, maybe when she's older. I think it just looks dark in the picture AND it gets darker in the winter and lightens up in the warmer, sunnier months.
Delete