Simple Things

In last week's post I talked about sewing, snow, and more sewing.  I didn't mean for all of our activities to start with the letter S, but sometimes things just end up that way.  This week, once again, all of the things I want to share start with the letter S - snacks, sewing, snow, silliness, and slippery roads.

Snacks - Jared spent the first half of the week in Belgium and he came home with an amazing variety of snacks.  Belgium is known for chocolates and waffles so there were bars and bars of chocolate, truffles, regular waffles, chocolate covered waffles, and even little crispy crunchy waffles.  He also bought madelines which kind of tasted like Twinkies without the creamy filling.  My favorite Beligan treat?  Speculoos - little crunchy cookies that taste sort of like graham crackers but have more of a ginger taste to them.  Even better than the cookies is the speculoos spread.  It's sort of like peanut butter made out of the cookies.  I don't know what it is about that stuff, but it is so good.  I love it on apple slices but really, my favorite way to eat it is by the spoonful.  It's sort of like Nutella that way.


Sewing -it seems as if no week is complete without a little sewing project.  I had a baby shower to attend on Friday and I knew I wanted to make a handmade gift, but I wasn't sure just what to make.  Then I saw this free PDF pattern on Made by Rae, and I had my answer in the form of the sweetest little baby dress ever.  I wanted to pair it with a perfect diaper cover from Made but I didn't have quite enough of the fabric left.  Next time, right?



Snow - the snow continues here in Germany and on Saturday Jared and the girls went outside to shovel and have some fun.  They played baseball with a broken broom handle as the bat and snowballs as the baseball. They made snow angels all in a line.  They had a snowball fight, went sledding, and just basically had a great time.  Madison even went outside and played, proving that her sisters (and sometimes mom and dad) are wrong when they say she's not fun anymore.



Silliness - Because it was a long holiday weekend we spent a lot of our time just being together.  Abigail played Stratego with everyone she could convince to play, we watched movies and played games.  We read books, took naps, and basically enjoyed just being a family.  Natalie gets whatever she wants and on Saturday she wanted Emily and Abigail to dress up and put on a dance performance/play with her.  They all dressed up and while there was some dancing around the living room I never did see that performance.


Slippery Roads - we woke up on Sunday to a world covered in ice.  It had snowed and then at some point the weather switched over to an ice storm.  We had to salt the sidewalk and driveway and then wait thirty minutes for it to start working before we could even try to shovel all the ice away.  The van was encased in ice - I couldn't even get the doors to open so I could get the scraper out.  The drive to church was scary and slippery; our windshield was icing over as we were driving. The good side to everything being ice covered is that it's beautiful.  The tree/shrub/bush thing on our front steps doesn't lose it's leaves in winter and it was so neat to be able to peel a layer of ice off of each leaf.


Just another normal, nothing much going on week in the Moran house.  I wonder if next week I can continue the S theme?

Comments

  1. Love your little family and all the fun things you do! Can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades