Spelling Bee

Life can be so surprising.  It's normally Abigail who is considered to be the great speller in our house, but this year Emily won her class spelling bee and went on to the main event - the school spelling bee. The thing is though, Emily is not such a great speller.  I think it's mostly because she writes so fast that her brain doesn't have time to keep up.  She came home with a list of seventh grade words to study, but didn't really spend much time studying until the two days before the spelling bee.


Our school is K-8 and the spelling bee is open to third through eighth graders which means that there are words aimed at every level of speller.  The thirty-nine contestants were lined up by grade, starting with the eighth graders and moving on down to third - making Emily contestant number five.


Round 1 - Waiting for her turn to spell...


and spelling her first word:  SOME  I guess it was one of the third grade words?  The only thing that could have tripped her up here was if she had spelled it SUM, but she wisely asked for the word to be used in a sentence.


For the first two rounds no one missed a word but in round three there were many mistakes and lots of kids left the competition.  But Emily was still spelling away, asking for definitions, for words to be repeated, and for the word to be used in a sentence.


By round seven there were just five spellers left and Emily was still hanging around.  Something told me that it might be her last round, so I snapped a quick picture and then switched over to video mode.  It's a good thing I did because it was her last word.  I can guarantee you that Emily will never again misspell faux!


Comments

  1. Thanks for the video clip. Way to go Emily really am proud of you. Love ya tons, Grandmom mOran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Emily! You're right, she'll never misspell faux again. I was second place in my 7th grade spelling bee... I misspelled eclipse. Never again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades