Practice, Practice, Practice
This year Emily was chosen to participate in the District Middle School Honor Band. It's a two day event where students from six middle schools come together, practice all day, and then give a concert at night. Madison went last year and learned a lot so we were excited for Emily to have the same opportunity.
Unlike the High School Honor Band, there is no audition process. Each school is given a certain number of slots and the band teacher selects which students will participate. I kind of wish they did have to audition because it would have forced Emily to practice more. We very rarely hear the clarinet being played in our home. If Emily is good enough to be selected for this without ever practicing (it's not super competitive, but still), I can only imagine how much she would improve with daily practice.
I usually ask Emily before the concert which song she likes the most or which song she thinks the band plays best, but I didn't get a chance to this time. I was again thankful for Madison's experience last year when I remembered that the director from Ramstein Middle School had done a really fun song. I checked the program and found that she had again chosen a great song, Don't Stop Believing, and I knew that's what I would be filming. You can't actually see Emily in this video; she's blocked by the conductor but she really was there playing. Enjoy - and next time you see Emily, tell her to practice!
Comments
Post a Comment