Addicted

Jared is worried I have a problem, he thinks I spend too much time sewing and may, in fact, have a sewing/crafting addiction.  I can see how he might feel that way, given the amount of stuff I've sewn in the last month.  Want to see?  I'll start with the most recent project and work my way backward.


Today I sewed new covers for our couch cushions.  There wasn't anything wrong with the old ones, I was just ready for something new after four years of seeing the same thing every day.  I went with the most simple method here, and did an envelope closure in the back.  I considered doing hidden zippers instead, but I didn't have zippers on hand and really wanted to finish these up today.  I love them and it makes me want to get some pillow forms and make more because you can never have too many pillows on your couch, right?

I also (almost) finished up this top today.  It's the Esme Top from Sew Liberated and I am pretty pleased with it. I cut out the pattern pieces on Sunday, sewed the bodice on Monday, and added the sleeves this morning.  Overall, I like this pattern.  I took my measurements (always a scary thing to do) and cut it out in the suggested size, but I feel as if the fit is a little too roomy.  Maybe it's supposed to be that way, but I think if I make this one again I'd go at least one size down.  I still need to sew some buttons on the front, but the lovely brace you see on my hand was making hand sewing difficult.  Perhaps the buttons will make a big difference in the fit?  For today I just threw a cami on underneath and I'll add the buttons some other time.  I finished it up just in time to wear it when I went out today, hooray!


This dress, the Washi Dress from Made By Rae, may be my new favorite.  I love the fit, the POCKETS, and the comfy shirring in the back.  Because I really wanted this to turn out well, I made a muslin which was a first for me.  I actually ended up making three muslins before I found the right fit in the bodice.  The pattern is sized for "average-busted women" but apparently I am above average.  First I made the bodice without any adjustments and the bottom of the front bodice barely covered my chest while the back of the bodice was much lower.  That meant I had to do something else I've never done before, a full bust adjustment.  After drafting a new pattern piece for the front bodice I made another muslin, but I still felt as if the bodice was too short and that the finished dress would end up looking very . . . maternity.  So I lengthened the bodice by about two inches, lowered the shirring lines in the back by the same amount, made another muslin, and was amazed when it actually worked!  It was lot of work, but I'm so glad I made those muslins first.  It would have been sad to make a dress and find that it didn't fit and then not have enough fabric leftover to go back and fix it.  I will make this dress again - although I'll probably leave out the little notch detail at the neck so I don't have to wear a cami underneath and I'd like to try the version with sleeves and well as the maxi dress variation.  Okay, that's entirely too much about one dress!


Pajama pants!  I love them so much I spent an entire day last week wearing my pajamas.  I even went to the elementary school and talked with the principal in my pj's. But I was wearing this grey cardigan so that made it seem more dressed up, right?  Also, I cannot get enough of this fabric - it's a cotton, but somehow silkier and lighter than regular cotton.  Plus the hearts are so cute.  I drafted the pattern using my measurements, some directions in One Yard Wonders, and a pair of yoga pants I love.


The only thing I sewed in this picture is the sewing machine cover, but this is my little sewing corner in the basement.  I just bought the table last week at the thrift store and I'm so happy with it.  I love that it's wood so it looks like actual furniture and I really like that the leaves extend out from the center of the table giving me lots of room under the table on both ends for storage.  Before I was sewing on a folding plastic table and it just wasn't ideal.  It would shake if I sewed too fast and the legs sloped in from the corners so I couldn't put anything very tall underneath the table.  Plus, if we needed the folding table for it's original intention, extra seating for when guests are over, I would have to take everything off the table and lug it upstairs.

**Additional projects not pictured - 1 table runner, 12 cloth napkins (with beautiful mitered corners), 1 pair of pants hemmed, and 1 large foam cushion recovered for Natalie's classroom at school.

Maybe I do have a problem and it's time for an intervention?

Comments

  1. Add me to your list, please???? I love what you have made. You are so talented. Want any Christmas and Birthday suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! Maybe one day we will live close to each other and you can teach me how to sew?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades