Pumpkin Carving and Halloween

 November 6 - I guess this is a flashback post since it's now been a full week since this year's Halloween festivities.  It's definitely more than one photo for today, so I'll keep the text brief and let the photos speak for themselves.  On Monday night last week we carved pumpkins for family home evening.  It's become an almost annual thing around here.

Samantha and I carved this boo jack-o-lantern together
We had Ethan visiting for the entire week and this is his amazing Mockingjay pumpkin
Jared and Natalie made a sweet wolf pumpkin
So, I guess it's pretty obvious who made this pumpkin.  The flower beneath her name is patterned
after a flower she often draws when she's bored and doodling
Madison used the drill with a large bit to send a Halloween message
Emily chose an owl for her design.  Just pretend you can see it, okay?  It will make her feel better.
When everyone was done we still had one pumpkin left to carve so I made
a quick cat jack-o-lantern and we called it a night
Wednesday night was our ward's annual trunk or treat activity.  We got there a little early to set up our trunk and while I loved how it looked Jared would probably appreciate it if I point out here that the flowers were not his idea.  Obviously I much prefer autumny things to the more spooky side of Halloween.  The trunk or treat this year was the best yet!  A couple in our ward set up speakers and music equipment and played great music all night. The music really added to the fun and (after the candy, of course) was our favorite part of the evening.


Samantha found this Chinese (maybe?) costume at our local thrift store and
had to have it.  For only $3, who was I to say no?
Natalie was an autumn leaf this year.  We made her a lovely crown of sunflowers and leaves that she refused to wear because it was itchy, but she still looked cute so it was a successful costume.
Abigail was Vanellope von Schweetz from Wreck it Ralph and
thanks to Old Navy she really rocked the look
I think the award for best group costume (if there had been any awards given that night) should have gone to these three.  Abigail really, really wanted Jared to be the Wreck it Ralph to her Vanellope von Schweetz and that alone would have been cute.  But when Ethan agreed to be Fix-it Felix it was seriously Halloween costume magic!  
Madison was a beautiful Minion!  She even spoke a Minion
version of "trick or treat" as she went from car to car
Poor Emily, I didn't get a real picture of her in her costume this year.  We picked her up from school and went straight to the trunk or treat.  I thought she had brought her costume with her to school and she thought I was bringing it with me.  Yeah, communication would have been a good thing there.  Still, she made the best of it and changed into her running shorts and BYU fleece and went as a BYU soccer player.  Maybe next year we'll get a picture?

Comments

  1. No need to apologize for Emily's pumpkin because I saw the Owl immediately.
    Love all the fun you posted

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades