Temple Weekend

November 15 -  We had made reservations to stay overnight at the temple hostel on Friday night so Jared and I could attend the English session that evening and Madison and Emily could go to the baptism session with the rest of the youth Saturday morning.  Sometimes when you've made plans to go to the temple it seems as if everything else in the world is trying to keep you at home.   Here's what happened to us . . .



The heat/defrost in the front of the van mysteriously stopped working the day after I made our reservation and the only day they KIA dealer could look at our car was Friday, the day we were supposed to leave. Oh, and Friday morning it was suddenly working again but I didn't want to take a chance that it would stop working again.  Driving while trying to keep the windshield from fogging up is no fun. By the time I got back from the repair shop we had just two hours to get everyone packed and ready to go.  Two hours might seem like a long time to pack an overnight bag, but we weren't packing just clothes and toothbrushes. Because we were staying at the hostel (much less full service than a regular hotel) I also needed to round up sheets, towels, and food.

Our plan was to leave as soon as Jared got home from work around five.  That should have gotten us to the temple no later than seven, in plenty of time for an eight p.m. session.  But then Jared called me and said his car had DIED on the autobahn while he was driving home. There was a big noise and. . . nothing.  He was able to coast to an exit and then down the ramp and into a small park and ride area at the end of the exit.  So instead of Jared meeting us at home, I quickly threw everything we had gathered for the trip in the back of the car, hoped that we weren't forgetting anything, and we set out to rescue Jared.  We left his poor sad car there and were on our way.

I love having a GPS.  It makes driving in Germany much easier and less stressful.  I can remember living here 12 years ago and bickering with Jared the entire way to the temple about which road we were supposed to be on or which exit to take.  The GPS has solved all (okay most) of that!  Our GPS will even tell us when we can expect delays because of heavy traffic.  However, that's only helpful if you're paying attention and I wasn't being a very attentive driver.  If I had noticed the warnings the GPS was throwing out I wouldn't have been having a conversation in German in my head when we came upon a traffic jam and I wouldn't have had to slam on my brakes (waking up my peacefully sleeping family) and then swerve into the mercifully empty lane next to us to avoid hitting the car in front of us and seriously injuring or possibly killing my entire family.  It took a while for my heart to stop pounding - but that's okay because I had a long while sitting in the traffic to calm down. Once I was calm again I started to get anxious because we were going nowhere and it was getting less and less likely that we would make it to the temple in time.

I was ready to just give up, find a Doner Kebab place for dinner, and call it a night but we kept crawling along and finally made it to Friedrichsdorf around 7:30, just in time to throw the kids and our things in our 8-bunk room and hurry to the temple for a session.  And you know what?  It was worth all the stress and the work and the frustration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades