Our Knight in Shining Armour

We considered getting to Italy a little bit of an adventure but we had no idea that getting back home to Germany was going to be even more crazy.  I wonder if we would have even gone to visit if we'd know what was in store.  The military flight terminal at Aviano typically has one flight a week to Ramstein and our plan was to fly back on that weekly flight.  Multiple people working at the terminal there had reassured me that there would be no problem and we'd get on the flight because, "No one wants to go to Germany."  What? Hey, that's cool because we wanted to go to Germany!

Everyone knows that one of the main things to remember when flying Space A is to be flexible with your travel plans - everyone but me apparently and my only travel plan was to get seats on that plane flying back to Germany.  Too bad for us, the flight was CANCELLED and there wasn't going to be another one for five more days and we really couldn't wait five days!  The girls had school, I had church responsibilities, and we all missed Jared.  After cursing my terrible luck I called Jared to see what we could do.  A last minute commercial flight was going to be too expensive and I couldn't find a way to make it work by taking a train. After talking in circles and not coming up with a solution Jared finally asked me, "What do you want me to do?" and I told him that I wanted him to drive to Italy and come pick us up.  I was only 75% serious and I was pretty sure that he wouldn't do it, but he actually did.  He gassed up the car, bought sodas and snacks, and drove through the night to meet us in Milan at the mission office.

It had to have been a long and lonely eight plus hour drive through the night for Jared - especially since he was still working through jet lag from his trip to the States and he had worked all day before starting the drive to Italy.  Once we found each other in Milan and everyone had said their goodbyes to Gram and Grandpa we transferred the kids and luggage to the van we were on the road back to Germany.  Because our GPS is crazy, we ended up driving back via the scenic route.  Instead of driving straight north through Switzerland and then in to Germany we somehow made our way home through France and it took waaaay longer to get home than it took Jared to drive to Milan.  That may have been because I was driving on the way home and I'm just a little more grandma behind the wheel than Jared!


The girls and I are so blessed to have Jared in our lives.  He does so much to take care of us and does it all without complaining.  I love my amazing man and how he shows his love for us through simple and quiet service.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades