Together Again
Day 22 - It's not easy being a marching band mom. That's one of the things I've learned this fall as Madison has been a part of her school's marching band. I also learned that the high school here takes marching band waaaay more seriously than my high school did. I learned a little about the scoring system for marching band competitions and that bending your knees when you march is frowned upon (at least in our band, but apparently not in all bands?) I learned that I don't care how I look when I have to drop my child off at the school at 4 in the morning or pick her up at midnight. I'll just roll out the door in whatever clothes are lying on my bedroom floor. Mostly I learned that it kind of stinks to be without Madison every Saturday for three months.
Because we registered the girls for their new schools in August - after the marching band practices had started - Madison wasn't able to play an instrument in the marching band this season. Instead she was part of the color guard. Instead of spinning and throwing flags she was cast as a villain in the show. The theme for their show this year was A Walk in the Woods and there were three villains that the band found on their walk - the Wicked Witch from Wizard of Oz, the Queen from Snow White, and Madison's role of Ursula from The Little Mermaid.
Her performance costume was pretty impressive. It even had tentacles! Her makeup was crazy with a pale, white face, high arched eyebrows, beautiful blue eyeshadow, and a rocking beauty mark. She even got to wear a pretty fantastic wig. For the most part I think that Madison had fun this year; she made some friends, she got to dress up as a Disney character, and now that the season is finished she was able to bring her trident home for good. Plus the band had a good season - Maryland state champions in their division for the sixth straight year and less than a point shy of first place at Nationals.
Now that the season is finally over we have our sweet Madison at home for the first Saturday since the beginning of September. It's been a long fall and I think we are all glad it's done. I know I've missed having Maddy around on Saturdays and am looking forward to being together as a complete family on weekends again!
Our oldest daughter was in the Marching band in Utah. We loved every minute of it.
ReplyDelete