Handiwork
At the end of November Jared, Abigail, and I spent a day at Jared's mom's place going through her home and helping her clear out and make room. One of the things we took out of her home that day was some old quilts. Some were completed and in need of repair, some were in progress, and one was just a completed quilt top. I didn't really look at them that day but when I got home and was going through everything I pulled out this beautiful hand-stitched quilt top. I immediately knew I had to find a way to complete this quilt because it would make the perfect Christmas gift for my mother-in-law. I bought some soft flannel for the back and some lovely grey binding and got to work.
I'm really not much of a quilter and this is only the second quilt I've ever made; or at least the second I've ever made correctly. Up until about three months ago every quilt I've made has been sort of thrown together in the easiest way I could figure out and the end results were warm but not very beautiful. I knew this beautiful old quilt deserved to be finished up correctly so I took my time and worked carefully. I did really simple machine quilting by sewing around the inside of every white area with a 1/4" seam.
The quilt is made up of tiny little squares (about 3/4" across) arranged in a diamond pattern. For me, one of the most fun parts of this project was finding some pretty sweet little squares of vintage fabrics as I was quilting. I'm sure each one has a story behind it and I wish I knew what all of those stories were.
| I found this happy little grandfather clock fabric in many places on the quilt and it always made me smile |
| I love the floral with the navy background and would definitely wear a skirt or dress made out of it today! |
| This pink Christmas tree fabric was only represented once on the quilt but it was so sweet and cheery |
I was prepared to sew the binding on the way I did it on the last quilt I finished by first sewing the binding by machine to the front of the quilt and then wrapping it around and hand sewing it to the back. My only concern was that I wouldn't be able to finish the binding in time because I didn't start it until December 23rd. I was once again thankful for my parents and the lovely sewing machine they bought me last year because I was able to sew the binding on completely by machine and use a really cute blanket stitch that I think looked perfect with the old fabrics and hand sewn quilt top.
Even better than the pretty finished product was the fact that the gift was well-received! Or at least I think it was, maybe my mother-in-law was using the quilt all weekend because our house is so cold?
Comments
Post a Comment