One Year Older and Wiser Too

It was my birthday a couple of weeks back and I do hope I'm getting not only older but wiser as well! From conversations I've had with other adults my age (37!) I've learned that most people stop looking forward to/being excited about their birthdays as they age. I still love my birthdays and have been known to say things like, "Guess what? It's almost my birthday!" much like a seven year old would. Luckily my sweet family really knows how to make me feel special and, thanks to them, I had a great day.  Actually this year I had a birthday weekend instead of just one day of celebrating and I definitely liked being the "birthday girl" for more than just one day.

A moment = a weekend, right?
For the most part my birthday weekend consisted of Jared and the girls doing what they could to satisfy my every whim. Whether that meant someone else was cooking dinner and folding the laundry or everyone was being quiet so I could take a Saturday afternoon nap, if I mentioned something, it happened. Feeling hungry? What can I get you sweetie?  Sort of thirsty? How many ice cubes do you want in your water? Yep, it was sort of like Mother's Day around here.

On the actual anniversary of my birth the girls were in school, but Jared was off work so we had the day to spend together! We've been talking for a while about updating our basement bathroom and I've been looking online for fixtures that will fit in the limited space. I felt as if I'd found what I wanted at IKEA, where the allen wrench reigns supreme, so we set of for a little shopping trip. After a quick browse through the upstairs of the store (we could be quick because we found the shortcuts!) and a stop at the restaurant for meatballs, it was time to make a decision. But I just wasn't sure. We ended up taking measurements of the vanity and mirror we liked best to compare with the space at home one more time. Instead of coming home with new bathroom fixtures we ended up buying new dishes. Totally not planned, but something I've been wanting for a while so it was at least a semi-successful trip. In the end, I went back to IKEA with a friend two days later and bought the vanity and mirror Jared and I had looked at; I just needed a little more time to think about it before committing.

This is how tired walking around IKEA and then NOT EVEN BUYING the thing we went there for makes Jared feel!
That night we had delicious smothered pork chops for dinner followed by chocolate cake for dessert and then we opened presents. I have to admit that I knew what all of my presents were going to be because I was there when Jared took the girls shopping for my birthday. It didn't make it any less exciting for me though; I love presents! They really covered all the bases of things that I love - things to use in the kitchen, chocolate, cute office supplies, and sewing tools.

A mixer paddle with an attached rubber scraper, hooray!
I might have been most excited about this set of bias tape makers. No more singed fingers for me!
Just so there was no question about my age, Jared sprung for the fancy numeral candles. Only having two candles to blow out was a lot easier than thirty-seven would have been!

Comments

  1. I can't wait to see your bathroom makeover! Also, I usually have a birthday week,,we deserve it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades