Elementary Honors Chorus

At the beginning of the school year Samantha auditioned and was selected for our county's Elementary School Honors Chorus.  At the beginning of October she started practicing with the other kids from her school, then in mid-October she joined kids from the three other schools closest to ours, and finally in November they began practicing with all of the children that had been selected from our county. This week was their big performance!

Samantha had so much fun learning and performing these songs. I'm not sure that we really knew how much she enjoyed singing until she had this experience so we're really grateful that she had the chance to sing with the St. Mary's County Elementary Honors Chorus. The performance was brief, just five songs, but it was good. The guest conductor, a music teacher in a different school district, did a great job with the kids and it was easy to see that the kids had caught her enthusiasm for music.

It's hard to tell from this picture, but the conductor's shirt was SO sparkly! 
And obviously the kids loved her!
About halfway through the concert things kind of stopped abruptly when a singer from the very back row suddenly walked off the risers and was escorted off stage. It's something I've never seen in a concert before and I was dying to know what was going on, but they didn't make any sort of announcement and just went on with the show as if nothing had happened. Samantha told me afterward that it was very hot on stage and she felt like she was going to faint. It was really warm in the auditorium, so I'd imagine it would be even warmer under the lights. Another little girl actually threw up in the hallway after the performance!

As we were driving to the concert I asked Samantha which song was her favorite and she immediately said "Oye" because it's a fun song to sing and because she likes singing in a different language. I always like to ask this question of our girls before a performance because I'm not going to record every song, but I do want to make sure to get the one they like best. Here's Samantha and the SMCPS Elementary School Honors Chorus singing "Oye".


We're grateful for Samantha and her many talents, including her musical ones! We love that she's always striving to do and be the very best.

Comments

  1. After seeing more than one child faint on stage, John and I half jokingly, half seriously remind our kids that if they think they're going to pass out, JUST SIT DOWN. This came in handy a couple of years ago when Johannah contracted the flu during a festival. We watched her disappear and reappear on the back row throughout an entire performance of Carmina Burana. Nothing like some nausea and light-headedness to keep things interesting! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great experience for Samantha. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could have sworn we were friends in Facebook but I couldn't find you. I'm sure you have probably already seen it, But your girls sweet picture showed up on my newsfeed and I wanted to make sure you saw it! They are famous!😉 I think they are photo 5 in the slide show, but their picture is showing up with the article on Facebook. http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/washington-dc-chapel-president-nelson-in-washington-d-c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this with me Nicole! I thought we were friends on Facebook as well? I'll have to see if I can find you somewhere :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades