Somebody sweet had a birthday! According to Emily, November is the best month of the year because the first half of the month everyone has Halloween candy, then it's her BIRTHDAY, and finally Thanksgiving a holiday about food and gratitude. I kind of have to agree with her as I love November. December gets a little crazy and if I'm not careful the long list of things I have to do for Christmas take the joy out of the season for me. November is much more low-key and that makes everyone happy!
Back to the birthday girl and her celebration. She'll be having a big joint party with Bethany later this week, but we didn't want to let the actual day pass unnoticed. The celebration started early, with donuts in seminary. Sadly, she had to come home to an empty house after school that day. I tried to make it a little less sad by having a bunch of helium balloons waiting for her. We had a Cafe Rio dinner (hello sweet pork!) and once Jared came home from work it was time for cake and presents. Emily requested cheesecake and I tried a new recipe this time. It was a plain cheesecake but it had a chocolate cookie crust, little brownie cubes mixed in with the cheesecake batter, and chocolate ganache spread over the top. I'm pretty sure the best part of her day wasn't the balloons, or the cake, or even the presents. It was when she received a call from a nice young man asking her out on her very first date!

We are lucky to have Emily in our family. She's smart, funny, strong, motivated, kind, and a little bit sarcastic. It sounds silly and cliched, but I really can't believe she's sixteen already. She and I were talking about how quickly time moves the other day and how soon she'll be off to college and out on her own. For Emily and for us, it's both an exciting and scary time. She can date, she can drive, she just keeps getting older. Happy birthday Emily!
 |
| Cutie pie Emily at five months |
 |
| Emily, half of her lifetime ago, at eight years old |
 |
| And Emily now! |
Happy Sweet Sixteen! I can't wait to hear all about her first date
ReplyDelete