Celebrating My Age

I recently celebrated my thirty-eighth birthday and maybe at some point I'll stop looking forward to my birthday, but right now I still like getting older and celebrating the day I was born each year. There are certainly some aspects of aging (hello crow's feet) that I'm less than thrilled about but for the most part being in my late thirties is pretty awesome!


I am beyond excited to sew up this pattern that I've been wishing for since last spring. It's Lisette for Butterick B6168 and I am in love with the details in the dress! The cross over bodice, the little cut out detail at the neckline, and the slightly empire waistline. I've already purchased two fabrics to sew this dress up a solid sort of cayenne pepperish linen/rayon blend and a red and black floral on an ecru background. I can't decide if I want to sew both views so I'd have a tunic and a dress or just use both fabrics for dresses. Either way, I'm looking forward to finding the time to get this pattern ready to sew! One big benefit of growing older is that our kids are getting older as well so I have more time to spend enjoying my favorite creative hobbies.


My most favorite present, hands down, was this big bag of Cadbury Mini Eggs. I think this may become a birthday tradition because I've been lucky enough to receive mini eggs two years running. As I've gotten older my palate has expanded and I definitely have a much healthier diet now than I did in the past, but chocolate has long been my favorite food and I don't see that ever changing!


I am blessed with five sweet girls who love me and make me lovely things to show their love. For my birthday this year Samantha sewed me a pretty throw pillow for my bed and made me an origami tulip because she knows they're my favorite flowers. Ten years ago when I was in the thick of things with four kids under 10 and one on the way I didn't fully appreciate how great it is to be a mom. If age brings wisdom, one thing I've learned is to enjoy these amazing people that I've been blessed to have in my life. It makes me feel old to say it, but enjoy it while you can because time passes all too quickly. I wouldn't want to go back ten years because right now is so fun, but I wish I would have taken the time to see the fun then more often.


I love getting older and am grateful for the perspective, opportunities, and blessings it brings to my life. Thirty-eight is going to be a great year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades