Reading Terminal Market

Oh food, our favorite part of every trip! Before we left for Philadelphia a couple of different people recommend that we check out Reading Terminal Market. It's kind of a cross between an indoor farmer's market and a food court. Anything you wanted to eat was probably somewhere in there among the eighty-four different vendors selling everything from cheesesteaks (of course) to whoopie pies. When I booked our hotel I could tell from the map that it was close to the Market. What I didn't realize until we arrived was that the Market was right across the street from the main entrance to the hotel! During our three days in Philly we ate there five different times and were never disappointed. 



This delectable display was at a pretty amazing Italian bakery, which was next to an equally amazing Italian deli and pizza place. We brought one of the heavenly chocolate mousse cakes back to our hotel and all enjoyed a bite or two. I may have eaten pizza from the place next door two meals in a row!
Cutting out donuts with a pretty neat tool that rolls along the counter cutting whole rows of donuts at once. This is Beiler's Bakery which is famous for the donuts, selling six to seven thousand a day! The last thing we did before leaving town to drive home was buy a dozen to keep us in snacks on the way home.
Jared and Natalie on our first evening at the Market. We started by walking through the entire place, trying to decide where to eat and what to try first. There were so many great options that I'm pretty sure even if we'd stayed in Philadelphia for an entire week we could have eaten here every day and still found new places to try. I still regret not getting a grilled cheese at Meltkraft. Next time, right?
At Wursthaus Schmitz there was of course Wurst, but also a pretty decent selection of German foods. The food we ate there wasn't as good as we wanted it to be, but it was fun to see some of our old favorites from the Edeka in Wallhalben.
I think Jared ate cheesesteaks three times, so he averaged one a day. Plus something like four hot dogs from carts here and there around the city. Not bad for an old guy!
After a long day of walking around the city (according to my Garmin it was 10 miles this day) everyone needed an ice cream.
For a family that loves to experiences new places through food, Reading Terminal Market was the perfect place. I honestly believe that we'd make another trip to Philadelphia just to eat at the Market again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades