Conference and Family Time
The last weekend of September was also the first weekend of October and that means it's Conference time! In addition to watching General Conference, we also enjoyed a visit from Jared's dad and sister and the girl's cousin Baraka. We also knew we had the movers arriving on Monday so we packed and did other preparatory things for the big move! It was a busy, but also fun and uplifting weekend.
Sometimes I've considered having the girls wear Sunday clothes to watch General Conference to avoid the sleepiness that sometimes comes as a result of watching church on the television, on the couch, in your pajamas.
As always, Conference was uplifting and inspiring. I'll share just a few things that touched me and made me want to change and improve.
Elder Gary E. Stevenson said, "One is never too young to seek and receive a personal testimony of the Book of Mormon." As a family, we've been studying the Old Testament for what feels like forever and this was just a reminder that we need to get back to the Book of Mormon. We've finally made it to Malachi so the end is definitely in sight!
On Sunday morning, Elder Lynn G. Robbins spoke about judging righteously but also touched on parenting when he said, "To discipline the Lord's way is to lovingly and patiently teach." Love and patience - two areas where I often feel lacking. I've tried to remember his words when I feel frustrated or impatient or just plain angry with our kids and responding from love and patience always works better than any other approach.
And finally, this one from Elder Robert D. Hales, "The calling to be a parent includes the gift to teach in ways that are right for you and for your children." What a perfect reminder that I know my children best and that I should have confidence in my decisions as a mother when I'm listening to the guidance of the Holy Ghost.
Since we also had family visiting for the weekend we decided to have a little belated birthday party for Jared's dad. It wasn't anything big but the girls had fun decorating the dining room for dinner and everyone was understanding when dinner was thrown together from whatever food we happened to have left in the house - chicken cacciatore and leftover cake from Jared's going away at work it is!




Comments
Post a Comment