Fake it Till You Make It

Sometimes I am the lady in this picture. Sometimes I don't care if the house is a mess, or there's nothing planned for dinner, or I'm still in my pajamas at 11 am, or that all I've eaten that day is chocolate chips by the handful. On days like this, I am what Mrs. Hoole would call a "Don't Care" homemaker. It doesn't happen often but there are days when I'm happy to live with the mess, dust, and chaos. The only problem is that eventually I do care and I'm left with even more mess, dust, and chaos than before because I've fallen behind.


Other times I'm what's considered an Almoster. I almost make it, but I don't quite finish all the work for the day, or I don't quite get the job done. I was an Almoster today when I swept but didn't mop our hard floors so now the floors are almost finished. If I were an Almoster all the time I'd never be quite ready for my day, I'd feel as if I were always running just a bit behind, and my house wouldn't ever be quite clean. I don't like being an Almoster because it leaves me feeling frustrated with myself. I know I can do better and I want to; accomplishing my goals feels good!

Sadly, according to The Art of Homemaking, there's not any hope for the Don't Cares of the homemaking world. Seriously, that's what the book says. However, anyone who takes the time to read the book isn't all bad and still has a chance! So all is not lost for the Almosters and there are two important things you can do to move closer to the ideal end of the homemaking spectrum. First, you have to make up your mind to change your ways and get the job done. Determination and will power get you half way there and the other part of the equation is self-image. Basically, you won't be an ideal homemaker (or an ideal whatever else you want to be) until you see yourself as one and if you don't see yourself as one yet then you have to fake it till you make it.

Let's take a little detour, shall we? I've never been a particularly athletic person but somehow, over the last three years or so, I've decided to become a runner. The trick to making that happen all started with imagination - you become what you think and the first thing I had to do was think of myself as a runner. Looking the part was important so I bought running shoes and cute running clothes. I downloaded music and put together a running playlist. Then the hard part began, and continues to this day, getting out there and actually running. Seeing myself as a runner, planning my day around a long run, visualizing the end of race, getting excited about negative splits, race swag, and running shoes - it all started with a little mind over matter.

The slowest, most painful race ever but we finished!
Okay, back to homemaking. Just like becoming a runner, sometimes you have to indulge in some generous daydreaming and see yourself as you want to be and then move forward with determination.  So I need to see myself as someone who regularly mops her floors instead of just spot cleaning them most of the time. Someone who wakes up every day and gets all the way ready, including hair and makeup. Someone who plans her work and works her plan. Someone who uses her favorite hobbies as an incentive to complete the necessary work for the day and not as a tool for procrastination. And yes, someone who occasionally sits on the couch eating junk food and ignoring her responsibilities all day. Do you know what this means? You really can do or be anything you want to as long as you put your mind to it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades