Let it Begin - Spring Break 2017

We've been looking forward to our spring break trip to Scotland since Christmas when Jared, being the wonderful guy that he is, planned the whole thing. Our much-anticipated spring break adventure started before we even left home with Jared's birthday celebration. It was a couple of days early but there was barely room in the car for us, let alone his birthday presents so there was nothing to do but celebrate! 

Seasons 1-4 of Longmire because Jared can never get enough of Sheriff Walt Longmire and
the crazy things that happen in Absaroka County, Wyoming
Pretzel M&Ms are not something we can find on or off base here so I grabbed a few bags from Target while I was in the States. It took everything I had not to devour these in the few days they were in my possession before I wrapped them up.
This amazing, confusing, wonderful game has been on Jared's wish list for a long time. It's not currently in print and seems to be something of a sleeper hit in the Catan family of games. We've been looking for a copy for about two years and I finally found one on Ebay. Now to find someone to actually play it with us....
We were planning to be away for ten days. Six people, ten days of clothes, and no room to move once everything was carefully arranged in the car. Jared is the Tetris master and somehow made it all fit! It's hard enough being in the car for hours on end without being crammed in with bags and such so we decided to break up the drive to Scotland into two shorter days instead of one long one and planned a stop along the way.

Ready to get on the road, real life
Ready to get on the road, Instagram-worthy
The Preston England Temple ended up being almost exactly halfway to our final destination so we made the temple accommodation our home for the night. What better place to start our spring break adventures? We ended up with two rooms, one for Jared and I and another for the girls. I've got to say, this was much nicer than the rooms we've stayed in at the Frankfurt and London Temples. They've typically been a room with three or four bunk beds and we've all shared the one room. If you're lucky, you get an attached bathroom and if you're not there's a bathroom down the hall. 

Twin beds for Jared and I but at least we had a room to ourselves
There's no way we were going to stay on the temple grounds without taking the opportunity to actually go to the temple. We arrived just in time to attend a session and while we were busy doing that Abigail and  Emily went to the baptistry and did some family names there. Of course, every temple is beautiful, but man, the Preston Temple sure is lovely inside. The grounds and gardens of the Preston temple of so nice. In addition to the temple, there's a stake center, a family history library, a distribution center, the accommodations where we stayed, and even a missionary training center.

I'm so grateful we've had the chance to visit so many different temples around the world and for the feelings of peace I always experience when we're at the temple. Everywhere we've lived we've been blessed to live no more than a couple of hours drive from a temple and I pray that will always be the case.



I loved walking around the grounds and seeing all the new spring growth that was happening, it's such a glorious time of year.
After the temple closed that evening we went out for ice cream, played a card game, and finally settled down for the night. As far as vacations go, our first day was the perfect start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades