Sicily
Jared's away for work for six months. That's a long time to be separated so we're so grateful that he's in a location where we are able to go and visit him. Almost as soon as he left in August I was looking online for flights and making plans for visits to Jared. The first of our planned visits finally arrived at the end of September! Arrangements were made for the girls, my bag was packed, and I set off for the airport.
I knew before Jared left in August that being separated was going to be difficult. I didn't know that I would handle it by effectively shutting down part of my heart. What I mean by that is that if I find myself missing Jared or feeling sad or lonely because he's gone I'll just stop myself from feeling at all. I won't let myself miss him or feel sad. I do this by sheer force of will sometimes. I do this mostly by filling my head with anything and everything else. Being too busy to think about the fact that the person I love and depend on more than anyone else in the world isn't by my side makes each day a little easier. This wasn't something I made a conscious decision to do or even something I noticed right away. In fact, I didn't make the connection until I landed and saw his handsome face and was overcome with all these feelings I had been doing my best to avoid.
Poor Jared, I cried a lot over the three days of my visit. I wasn't crying because I was sad but because I was so perfectly, overwhelmingly happy. To be honest though, there was a little sadness mixed in with all the joy. Mostly it was the knowledge that we only had three days and that made me miss Jared. I never knew before that it was possible to miss someone who was standing right beside you. The feeling that if I let go I might never hold him again was a little paralyzing and I had to remind myself to just enjoy the blessing that it was to be together.
We explored the cities and towns near the base, looking at almost every single pottery shop in Caltagirone and going for late night paninis in Catania. We ate gelato, brioche, and granita as much as we possibly could. We spent Sunday watching General Conference and just relaxing. I've missed sitting next to Jared on the couch and reading a book while he watches sports. Everyday things become elevated when they no longer happen everyday.
I'm currently counting down the days until my next visit (15!) and will remember to pack waterproof mascara and tissues this time!
I knew before Jared left in August that being separated was going to be difficult. I didn't know that I would handle it by effectively shutting down part of my heart. What I mean by that is that if I find myself missing Jared or feeling sad or lonely because he's gone I'll just stop myself from feeling at all. I won't let myself miss him or feel sad. I do this by sheer force of will sometimes. I do this mostly by filling my head with anything and everything else. Being too busy to think about the fact that the person I love and depend on more than anyone else in the world isn't by my side makes each day a little easier. This wasn't something I made a conscious decision to do or even something I noticed right away. In fact, I didn't make the connection until I landed and saw his handsome face and was overcome with all these feelings I had been doing my best to avoid.
Poor Jared, I cried a lot over the three days of my visit. I wasn't crying because I was sad but because I was so perfectly, overwhelmingly happy. To be honest though, there was a little sadness mixed in with all the joy. Mostly it was the knowledge that we only had three days and that made me miss Jared. I never knew before that it was possible to miss someone who was standing right beside you. The feeling that if I let go I might never hold him again was a little paralyzing and I had to remind myself to just enjoy the blessing that it was to be together.
We explored the cities and towns near the base, looking at almost every single pottery shop in Caltagirone and going for late night paninis in Catania. We ate gelato, brioche, and granita as much as we possibly could. We spent Sunday watching General Conference and just relaxing. I've missed sitting next to Jared on the couch and reading a book while he watches sports. Everyday things become elevated when they no longer happen everyday.
I'm currently counting down the days until my next visit (15!) and will remember to pack waterproof mascara and tissues this time!


I totally understand and can relate to this! Been there and done that. Your words eloquently describe the feelings I had every time Gary was away from us. I'm so glad you are able to visit sometimes. How lucky we are to have found guys we not only love, but genuinely enjoy just being with as we go through the ups and downs of everyday life. Enjoy your next visit!
ReplyDelete