Unexpected Blessings
I spent a big chunk of my day today at the high school cooking hot dogs and hamburgers and helping to man the concession stand during a JROTC drill competition. Partway through the day we were almost out of the latex gloves we are required to wear for health and safety so I made a quick run to the commissary to buy more gloves.
The Saturday after payday and before Thanksgiving is a busy shopping day at the commissary. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen the commissary here quite so packed with shoppers. But I was a woman on a mission so I made a beeline for the spot where I knew I could find more gloves, weaving my way through the crowded aisles. I grabbed ten packages of gloves and hurried to the express check out lane, only stopping to grab a honey salted almond Ritter Sport bar for my lunch. As I was checking out three women walked up to me and said, "We're from the Liberty Spouses Association and we want to give you this Commissary gift card to help with your holiday shopping." They handed me a $50 gift card, asked me to take a quick picture with them, and then headed off to brighten someone else's day.
What a blessing! I was kind of too shocked in the moment to take it in because it was such an unexpected gift but also such a welcome gift for our family. Groceries are always a big line item in our budget, especially this time of year. I'm so grateful for the people and organizations who seek to do good in our little military community here in England. It was just what I needed today!
I love the imagery in this talk from President Uchtdorf. Heavenly Father really is constantly showering blessing down and they often come in ways I don't expect. Blessings aren't only big and grand. Most often I feel God's love for me in small, everyday moments. It's a blessing when a song I love comes on the radio and lifts my spirits. It's a blessing when I receive a phone call or a text when I'm lonely. It's a blessing when I find a good parking space. It's a blessing when I receive extra energy to make it through a long day. Moments like these are not coincidences, they are tender mercies from a loving Father in Heaven. I believe the challenge for each us is to recognize those blessings when they come - because they won't always be as obvious as a stranger handing you a $50 gift card.


So cool! Hey, btw, my bother, Thomas, made this video. I love it so much.
ReplyDeleteWhat!? That's awesome!
Delete