Living After the Manner of Happiness

I was listening to 2 Nephi the other day while I was sewing a quilt. In an effort to get through a big block of scriptures quickly, I set the playback at 1.5 which made the verses really start to fly by. I was worried that I'd miss important parts at the faster speed, but my plan was to listen to all the chapters I wanted to study this week (2 Nephi 1-18) at once and then spend time each day doing a deeper study of the individual chapters.  Even at the increased playback speed, a short little verse that I'd never noticed before stood out in a big way.

Here's what Nephi wrote: And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness. As soon as I heard that verse I thought, "I've never heard that before but I love it!" One problem with listening to the scriptures instead of reading them is that I never really know what chapter or verse is being spoken - and I knew that I wanted to find the verse again and dig a little deeper into this happiness the Nephites were experiencing. I sat down this morning with my scriptures and started my daily study hoping to run across the verse in today's chapters, and I did in 2 Nephi 5:27.

By way of background and context, Nephi and his followers were told by the Lord to separate themselves from Laman, Lemuel, and the sons of Ishmael. Nephi is writing in this chapter about the reasons behind that separation and the things Nephi and his people did as they established their new society. It is at the end of Nephi's description of their society that he stated that they lived after the manner of happiness. As I read this chapter today I wondered what that would look like. What specific things should I be doing in my life to live in the same manner?

I had to backtrack to the earlier verses in chapter 5 to learn what they were doing in their society and I ended up with a solid list of things that I can do to live a similar life. Here's my list of the things Nephi mentioned they were doing to live the happy life.

  • Nephi and his followers went with their families (verse 6) when they broke away from the other children of Lehi. Elder Marlin K. Jensen said, "There is no organization that can so completely satisfy our need for belonging and happiness like the family" and I wholeheartedly agree. I'm happiest when I'm at home with my family. There is nothing else in my life that brings we as much joy. 
  • They believed in the words of God and followed his prophet. 2 Nephi 5:6 says: All those who would go with me were those who believed in the warnings and the revelations of God; wherefore, they did hearken unto my words. In this instance, and in our lives today, following the prophet will keep us safe. I feel happy when I feel safe. 
  • They were self-reliant and prepared for the future. (verses 7, 14) Nephi relates that they took their tents and whatever other things they would need before they began their journey. Once they came to the place where they were going to settle they used the sword of Laban as a pattern to make additional weapons. I don't believe they were looking for a fight, but they were ready for one. 
  • The Nephites kept the commandments (verse 10) It's a simple truth that living a good life and keeping the commandments makes us happy. Hollywood film producer Cecil B. DeMille said, "We cannot break the Ten Commandments. We can only break ourselves against them." I don't want to be broken, I'd rather be happy. 
  • In verse 11, we read that they planted crops and raised animals. Understanding how this helped them to live after the manner of happiness required a little more thinking on my part. I don't garden and if I did I'm pretty sure the plants would die. I'm glad there are animals in the world, but I'm not really comfortable being around them. But I know that people do find joy in the simple act of caring for a pet or planting a garden so maybe I need to try to develop that green thumb. 
  • Nephi mentions in verse 12 that they brought the brass plates with them when they separated from the followers of Laman and Lemuel. They were fleeing into the wilderness and took with them only the things they would need to survive - shelter, food (seeds, flocks), and the scriptures. Having access to the word of God through the scriptures is an essential component of living a happy life. They bring comfort, teach us, and put us in tune with the Spirit. 
  • They were workers. (verses 15, 17) At some point in the past, I wrote "Work is good!" in the margin of my scriptures next to verse 17. I love to feel productive and take great satisfaction in a job well done. I am a worker and work makes me happy. David O. McKay said, "Let us realize that the privilege to work is a gift, that the power to work is a blessing, that love of work is success."
  • Nephi built a temple! (verse 16) When I think about the temple, I think of my family, especially my sweet husband and our beautiful children, of heaven, of resurrection, and of eternal life. Mostly, I just feel peace and joy. I love the temples of the Lord. 
  • The people of Nephi served in the church (verse 26). It says that Nephi consecrated Jacob and Joseph to be priests and teachers over the people. I love being a member of a church that needs each one of us to serve and my callings have forced me to grow and stretch in ways I never imagined. Plus, I'm a happier person when I feel needed and am encouraged to serve.  
Looking over the list of elements I found, I noticed that most of the things on this list aren't new or novel ideas for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Basically, living the teachings of the gospel is living after the manner of happiness. 

How have you seen these things bring happiness to your own life? How has the Lord's influence in your life contributed to your happiness? 

Comments

  1. Responding to verses 15,17 "Work is good!" I work part time cleaning homes. This type of employment may be looked at as medial or unskilled, yet one can still find great satisfaction for a job well done no matter what their line of work is. I like the fact that my work can be measured and that I can walk away at the end of the day feeling success, success in my skills and better yet, success in helping another accomplish what they might not be able to do for themselves. Work is good!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades