Benefits of Substitute Teaching

Today I spent the afternoon working as a substitute teacher in a fourth grade classroom. We worked on math, science, and social studies together and it was a nice afternoon. In the morning I was at the high school where I filled in for a special education paraprofessional, which I always enjoy because I get to work with smaller groups or even with students one on one and I'm never in charge of an entire classroom. 

I like being in the schools and working as a substitute. This is something I did in Maryland a little, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much there as I do here.  Every day I'm doing something different, which is really fun and has helped me to see what kinds of jobs within education I would or would not enjoy. My kids and I always have the same days off of school and the same schedule on the days I am working so I can be there for them. Substituting is a totally flexible job; I'm kind of my own own boss and can work as much or as little as I want. For example, we're going to Germany for Natalie's birthday and I don't have to ask for time off, I just say that I can't work those days.  If I want to make a little extra money I just schedule as much work as possible. 

A sweet note a student gave me at the end of school today
These last few are maybe silly benefits, but it forces me to pack a lunch so I'm eating healthy food midday. Plus I have to make an effort to get ready for the workday which means my hair and makeup are done and my outfit usually looks cute. And when I know I'm going to be working I'm much more organized and am forced to use my time wisely so most days I end up getting a lot done even though I have less free time.  Who knew that being a substitute could be so much fun?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades