Apreço por Laura

For the past few months, we have been blessed to have a bonus daughter living with us. Laura was Emily's companion this time last year. When she was released from her mission she needed a place to stay while waiting for her student visa to be processed so she can attend school at BYUI. The wheels of the state department and immigration are moving even slower than usual thanks to covid and while I'm sure that's been frustrating for Laura, it's been a huge blessing for our family. We love having Laura live with us. 

She is so special and has the kindest, most generous spirit. Laura is the kind of person who sees something that she can do to help others and just does it without hesitation. Earlier this week Val was feeling sick and Laura spent HOURS sitting on the living room floor playing Legos with Corbin so Val could get some rest. She is always doing the dishes even when it's not her week do to the dishes. She leaves little notes to let people know what she loves and appreciates about them. She's an amazing listener and has been a sounding board for both Emily and Abigail. 

Laura is a spiritual rockstar. Our family scripture study routine consists of all of us reading the same chapter and then taking turns sharing our insights, questions, or connections. Laura often will begin by saying "I was pondering..." and that three-word phrase describes her approach to the gospel so well. She takes the time to really think and consider and ponder and then acts on the revelation she receives. Every morning I see her at the kitchen table studying the scriptures and it reminds me that I need to do the same. She listens to uplifting talks while doing her hair and makeup each day. Not that she needs to do her hair and makeup because she is as beautiful on the outside as she is on the inside. But really, who does that? Laura does!

She's the emotional support person for all the people around here. Natalie can be really touchy and quick to feel defensive and bristly but Laura's sweet and patient ways somehow diffuse that. She'll cuddle with Natalie (which is Natalie's favorite thing in the whole world AND Laura's too!) and talk to her about whatever is on her mind. Abigail will probably write about this too, but she has been a great friend to her. They go to Weber State for Institute classes together and they rock out to Hamilton together and they just laugh and have so much fun. It's hard to move. It's harder to move during a pandemic because it's almost impossible to make friends. Laura has been a friend to Abby when she's really needed one. Laura is Emily's person for post-date debriefings. First she tells Laura about her dates and then the rest of us get the scoop. Her advice to Emily when she's feeling worried about her relationship is always wise and balanced. 

Laura is also a ton of fun. She's funny and up for an adventure and has the cutest catchphrases. We pretty quickly learned that she will kill everyone else at Just Dance. It's seriously impressive. And her British accent is the best. We spend a lot of time talking in British or Australian accents around here and Laura's always makes me smile, especially when she talks about her boyfriend KON-uh (Conner). 


Laura is the best person I know. She is so Christlike and is a great example to me every day. She loves working in the chicken (kitchen) and loves asking for baaaas (sheep) and bridges (bricks) when we play Catan. The thing I love most about Laura is her ability to make you feel like you're her favorite person. No matter who you are. Driving to Institute, rocking out to One Direction and other teeny-bopping music is so much fun. Spending time with her is always the highlight of my day. When I'm with Laura, I never feel judged or bad about myself. I feel totally comfortable (maybe a little too comfortable, I sometimes fart around her), to be me! I think that's what makes her more like Christ. I know around Christ I won't be judged for my small imperfections, like acne, bad mascara, or silly puns. I'll be loved because of those things! And Laura helps me feel that way, every day. In fact, I'm crying right now just thinking about how much I love her and am totally grateful that she's a part of my life now. Real big honesty time: When I first heard Laura was going to come here I didn't want her to! I was losing my room and I didn't want to deal with another sister. Laura has been the biggest blessing for me this year though. I don't even mind about not having my own room anymore (moms are pretty good roommates). Laura has become one of my best friends and another sister to me. I love her with all of my heart, and I couldn't be happier to call her my sister. -Abby :)

I LOVE LAURA!!!!! She is the most amazing human being on this planet! She is so kind and selfless. She is always helping me and letting me use her things. She is also super beautiful!! She gives the best advice about everything. I love how funny she is. She never fails to make me laugh and she is super good at dancing. She destroys me during our Just Dance parties! I love her so much and I'm so glad she lives with us! (she is basically my sister now)  - Sammy;) 

Laura has been an angel in my life. On the mission when we became companions, I knew basically nothing about her besides the fact that she was a hardcore amazing missionary! I was so intimidated to be her companion and to work with her. I quickly realized that yes, she was a hardcore and amazing missionary! I also quickly learned that Laura would be one of my best friends for life. She was the MOST loving person that I had ever met. I had just come out of a rough companionship where there wasn't much love and Laura helped me see who I was, which was someone worth loving and serving. She would make me breakfast almost every morning and every night before we went to bed she would give me a big old hug and tell me she loved me. Every day was an absolute blast! We would laugh all day and I don't think I ever stopped smiling that entire six weeks. She was a companion that was on the same page as me in regard to the work and honestly that entire six weeks was just pure joy. I'm so grateful that Laura has stayed one of my very best friends even after those magical six weeks. She is the best listener and she the most selfless person I have ever met. She stays up late with me to talk about boys and she is constantly serving me. I think that we could all stand to be a little bit more like Laura and to try and live the way that she lives. Oh how I love her and I am grateful for her and I always will be! - Emily

**Natalie is asleep or I know she'd have a bunch to add to this post**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades