Best Day
Sunday is the very best day of the week. First and most importantly, we have church on Sunday, and man, do I love church. It's been a strange year for worshiping with the switch to church at home, and then church at church, and then a mix of church at home and at church. Right now in our ward, we've split the congregation in half and we trade off weeks attending services in person. On the off week, the service is on Zoom so we can still be part of things. We only have sacrament meeting at church and all the other meetings - Sunday school, relief society, young women, everything - is done over Zoom. So we go to church for the sacrament and then head home and have an hour or so before it's time to log on for that week's second hour of meetings. It's definitely different, but I'm grateful to be able to meet together at all. But really, no matter where I physically am for church on Sunday, taking the sacrament and learning more about the gospel is the highlight of my day.
The other big thing I love about Sunday is that it's a day to do the things that always seem to get pushed aside during the rest of the week. I'm not talking about things like housework or other chores. I mean the good things in life that those sorts of chores often push to the back of the line. Sunday is a day to read good books, to study, to play games, to be creative, to nap, to spend time with family, and to recharge. Today we were able to do a lot of those things and it was just such a good day.
It's my mom's birthday today so once everyone was finished with their various church services (three different wards for us today thanks to our YSA ladies, plus mission prep for Abigial, and young women over Zoom) we climbed into the car to drive to their place and drop off some birthday gifts and wish her a happy birthday. It's been a couple of months since we were all at their home together and it was so good to sit together for a little bit and talk; even if we had to do it with masks on while staying six feet apart from each other.
This evening I sat down and did a little sewing and that's another favorite Sunday activity for me. Today I worked on a little kid-sized sleeping bag to give to Corbin for Christmas. I used a tutorial I found online and I can't really recommend it even though it all worked out in the end. The way the bag was sewn together left raw edges all around the lining of the sleeping bag which is awful. Instead of undoing all that stitching, I pulled out the serger to finish the raw edges inside the bag. That and the stitching to hold the batting in place was the last step and it was nearly impossible to get the whole thing under the foot of my machine at that point. It would have made much more sense to do the quilting of the layers together before inserting the zipper and sewing the other sides.
| Samantha wants one of her own now |
While I was sewing, the girls and I watched Julie and the Phantoms on Netflix. During the week I don't usually make much time for watching TV but on Sunday TV can happen. We LOVED Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist on NBC so to find another show with so much great music is a real treat. If you haven't heard of Julie and the Phantoms, it's a musical comedy show that tells the story of Julie and her bandmates who are ghosts. It's sweet and funny and the music is super catchy. Plus there's some mystery behind how the ghosts died and a villain that isn't too scary. It's a really fun show to watch with my really fun girls.
And that was our Sunday! It was such a good mix of building up our spirits, connecting with family and with each other, and making time for fun. I love Sunday.
Comments
Post a Comment