Care Packages
Three years ago I sent a box much like this one to Jared. Christmas in Sicily called for a tiny tree and some gifts from home. This year, Christmas in Kuwait means it's time for another box stuffed full with a tiny tree and presents. This is our first Christmas box this year and we'll probably send one more to our hero in the desert before December 25th. Tomorrow makes four months since Jared left so we're one-third of the way through our year apart!
Yesterday when I was talking to Jared he mentioned that getting mail is his favorite thing and that he likes mail so much that he'll order things from Amazon just so he has stuff to pick up at the post office. He's actually said that to me a few times since he's been gone. It's the sweetest but also the saddest thing to hear. When he was in basic training and tech school in 1997 I wrote him an actual physical letter every single day. When he was deployed to Iraq back in 2008 I wrote him an email every day and we sent a care package every month. I'm so grateful that it's easier to communicate now than it was back then but it means that I don't really think about making sure he gets that happy mail that he needs. I definitely need to be better about sending him regular letters and packages.
But then I thought, I'm not the only person who loves Jared. So this is my plea to anyone out there who wants to support this one very special troop - please send Jared some mail! I know it will make him happier than shooting big guns in the middle of the desert.


Comments
Post a Comment