Joy and the New Normal

I kind of hate the phrase new normal. Really, I hope the things we're doing to deal with this pandemic never become normal. I get that so much in our day to day lives and routines has changed because of Covid-19 and change is uncomfortable and usually something we just plain don't like. The idea that any of this could become permanent is not something that I enjoy considering. New normal. Think about some synonyms for those words. Strange standard. Unusual routine. People aren't going to be wearing masks forever. There will be concerts and plays again. We'll interact with people without a plexiglass screen separating us. Thanksgiving dinners and Christmas gatherings with family and friends will be a thing.   

I think we could all take a minute and think about the fact that just because something is familiar doesn't make it good for us. There are some things about pandemic life that I like quite a lot and I'd be happy if they become more a part of the way we live our lives.  For one thing, I'm an introverted homebody so Covid has been a good excuse to just stay home. And when I do go out, I am 100% okay with being able to place my order for groceries or fast food or whatever else online and then have it brought directly to my car in the parking lot instead of having to go inside a store or restaurant. Movies that go directly to streaming instead of to the theater? That's awesome! Anyone else excited for Wonder Woman 1984? I'm also a big fan of personal space so social distancing is fine by me. If I know and love you feel free to get up in my space, but otherwise please step back. 

We're trying to remember to be patient and find the joy in every day, even the
ones that bring some sadness 

Today the governor of Utah announced that the mask mandate that was put in place almost two weeks ago will be extended but the limit on gatherings with people outside of your household will be lifted. Still, he was very clear about what gathering safely looks like for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and beyond. Six feet of distancing, masks for everyone, eat outside if you can, keep the gathering short and sweet, and hand washing all the live long day. For the safest holiday, the recommendation is still only gathering with those in your own household so that's what we're going to do. It's our first and likely only Thanksgiving where we live close to Madison and Carson, five of my siblings, and my parents so that was tough to hear.  I was talking with my mom about this today and I was reminded of President Nelson's talk from 2016 where he said, "When the focus of our lives is on Jesus Christ and his gospel . . . we can feel joy regardless of what is happening - or not happening - in our lives." I'm choosing to feel joy even though there is a lot happening that I don't particularly like and plenty that's not happening that I really wish was happening. Stay safe out there friends. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades