Pop Tabs and Fancy Pop
Normally I'm thinking about what might make a good post and what I could take a picture of and write about. Today I was not intentional and didn't have any real plan behind what I could share. It was a day a lot like any other.
Woke up and got the littles off to school then did some picking up around the house. Went to get my dad from the dealership so he wouldn't have to wait around while they worked on his car. Actually, that's not a normal everyday occurrence and it was good to see my Dad and to go and grab some donuts with him on the way back to our place. When he texted me and said that we should stop for donuts after I picked him up I realized that my love of sweets is something I inherited from both of my parents and not just my mom. Then I went with Emily to the base to get her a new ID card since hers is expiring next week. While we were there we ran into an old friend of mine from England who lives here now. She was my PTO secretary when I was crazy enough to volunteer to serve as president one year. That was also not something that happens every day.
On the way back from the base Emily and I stopped at Fiiz to get some fancy drinks. Lime in the Coconut (Dr. Pepper with coconut and lime, yummy) for both of us! Having the Fiiz app on my phone is probably not the best idea because it makes it way to easy to just order a drink, stop by on my way home, and have them bring it right out to my car. The first and third Wednesdays are early release days for the girls so we have the whole afternoon together and it's become sort of a tradition that we watch that week's episode of Dancing With the Stars together on Wednesday afternoons. Drinking a delicious soda while watching Dancing and doing homework is not a bad way to spend a midweek afternoon. To top it all off, I somehow managed to take a two-hour nap and I seriously love naps.
This evening was our weekly young women activity and we were doing a little service project. One of the young women advisors collects pop can tabs to donate to the local Ronald McDonald house; the money they make from recycling the tabs helps to cover their operating costs. When her granddaughter was born she needed heart surgery and stayed in the hospital for several months and her daughter and son-in-law were able to stay in the Ronald McDonald house instead of having to drive the two hours each way to be near the hospital. She had brought six or seven huge garbage bags filled with empty soda cans that needed to have the tabs pulled off. Normally she does it herself and I cannot even imagine how much time it would take one person to go through that many cans. With the twelve or so girls we had at church tonight we were able to get through all the cans in about half an hour. Actually, I guess we could assume it would take her about six hours since it took twelve people a half hour? Math.
This last picture was a gift that Laura and Abigail left on my phone while I was busy doing an assignment for school this evening. If you didn't know, Laura is our bonus daughter. She was actually Emily's mission companion from about this time last year until just after the new year when Emily left Temple Square for her outbound mission in Ohio. Laura is from Brazil and is waiting for her educational visa to be processed so she can go to school at BYUI. With Covid, everything seems to be moving more slowly so her wait has been longer than expected. Since she joined our family in August, Laura and Abby have been going to Institute classes at Weber State several times a week and generally having so much fun together. We love Laura and are so happy she can stay with us until she's able to go to Rexburg!



Comments
Post a Comment