We Love Food

Earlier this week Natalie cried about food three separate times. She wanted waffles for breakfast when there weren't any waffles. Then she was hoping to have potstickers for lunch and we didn't have that either. As a Plan B for her lunch she thought pizza rolls would be good. Those also weren't anywhere to be found. 

I texted Jared and told him about the day of tears and nothing good to eat. He made the observation that her reaction was a mix of both of us. We both love food more than we should and look forward to our favorite meals. Jared is passionate about food and doesn't always react well when the food he's been hoping to eat isn't available. Seriously, all he asks is that when we have cookies in the house the last one be saved for him. I am not good at fulfilling that wish because cookies are just so tempting. He's often disappointed when he comes home expecting to find a cookie and instead finds an empty cookie jar. 

We eventually landed on something that Natalie would like to eat and I also promised her waffles for breakfast the following morning. I ended up regretting that promise when I stayed up until 1:00 a.m. and had to wake up at 6:00 a.m. to make the waffles. But the waffles were made and Natalie left for school happy, full, and most importantly, feeling loved. 

Samantha really, really does not like waffles so that early morning waffle making didn't benefit her at all. So that she could also feel loved, I promised her pancakes for breakfast this morning. We mostly eat breakfast foods at dinner time in our family and cereal at breakfast time. In the past I've made an overnight oatmeal cinnamon pancake when I've wanted to have a hot breakfast because it allows me to wake up, heat up a griddle, and have pancakes on the table soon afterward. As I was searching online for that recipe, I found a different overnight pancake recipe and I decided to give it a try and holy wow, these were the fluffiest pancakes ever to come out of our kitchen. I think it was the combination of yeast, buttermilk, baking soda, and baking powder - that's a lot of leavening agents in one recipe - plus the batter resting overnight in the fridge that made them so light and fluffy. This recipe also made so many pancakes. Way, way more than we needed or even wanted. We ended up with two dozen pancakes, most of which were put in the freezer to be pulled out for a quick breakfast another morning. 


So that's one post about kitchen tools and one about pancakes and waffles in less than a week. I've got a problem and it's food.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades