Boldness

I'm currently taking a New Testament institute course to help me get ready for next year's Come, Follow Me curriculum and really get a head start on studying when we'll be teaching at home and in Seminary. We're one week in and already, I'm being asked to share what I'm learning. I should have known because that's a big part of the learning model at BYU-I! One option for these weekly assignments is to post on a blog so that will be what I do for the next little while on here - share the thoughts and feelings and discoveries that come to my heart and mind from studying the beautiful teachings in the New Testament. 

Back in September, I decided that I wanted to study my patriarchal blessing. I'm pretty good about pulling it out and reading it from time to time, but really studying it is something I'd never done before. My plan was to look for blessings, spiritual gifts, promises, words of affirmation, and warnings. One thing that stood out to me was a sentence that promised me that I would find joy in sharing the gospel with others. When I had read that in the past I felt like it was a standard patriarchal blessing line akin to asking Heavenly Father to bless the food to nourish and strengthen our bodies in a dinner prayer - everybody probably has something like that in their blessing. Because of that, I never really gave it much thought. Plus, I did not serve a mission in my younger years so I didn't feel like it had much to do with my day-to-day life. 

Fast forward to my study for New Testament class this week where we studied Acts chapters 1-18. My instructions were to look for specific principles and themes in the scripture block that felt powerful to me. Without planning it at all or even realizing it until I looked over my notes, every principle and theme I pulled out was related to teaching the gospel. 

  • Acts 4:10-13 Successful missionaries testify of Christ and the gospel boldly. Looking at this again, I might rearrange it a little bit. When we testify of Jesus Christ and His gospel boldly, we are successful missionaries. Sharing the gospel with others can feel scary - what if I don't know what to say or don't have the answers to their questions? Now I can remind myself that all it takes to be successful is boldness. When we speak boldly and with the Spirit, Heavenly Father makes up for any shortcomings we have. 
  • Acts 5:41-42 The path of discipleship is not always easy or popular, but we can find joy by sharing the gospel. The exact words from chapter 5 are "they departed....rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name." It won't always be easy, it will probably be scary, and not everyone will magically embrace what we have to share with them. But it will still bring us joy, just like my patriarchal blessing said it would. 
  • Acts 8:29-39. When we heed the promptings of the Holy Ghost we can be instruments in bringing others to Jesus Christ. This is the story of Philip teaching and baptizing the Ethiopian eunuch. The Spirit told Philip to go near to this person. He may have been someone Philip would normally have overlooked or someone he would have assumed would not be interested in the message he had to share. The Spirit always knows better.
I still feel a little scared when I think about opening my mouth and testifying boldly. But then I remember that I'm doing it every day when I teach and testify of the truths in the scriptures with our girls and with our seminary kids. Great things happen when we have God on our side. 

Comments

  1. Nicely put Sarah, you have a great way of explaining things about the Gospel of Christ. I plan on looking for more in my own Patriarchal blessing. Thank you for sharing. Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Faith?

Anxiety, Friendship, and Insecurity

Four Decades