Self-Sufficient
Most mornings around here, we all wake up about 6 am, read scriptures together, and then get ready for our day. Jared leaves first for work, then the three older girls leave for school, and finally Natalie and Samantha head out the door for Kindergarten. This morning Samantha was so tired that she crawled into my bed and fell back to sleep right after we finished reading scriptures. I probably could have gotten her to wake back up, but when she's that tired I would rather let her sleep. Thinking that I wouldn't mind a little extra sleep myself, I climbed back in bed as well. Around seven Natalie came into my room wanting not only to sleep, but also to eat. I sent her to the kitchen to get something to eat and told her to eat at the table and then come back and lay down with us.
I woke up at 9:30 and Natalie was not in the bed with Samantha and I. She can really get into trouble when she's left alone (see here and here) so I was not looking forward to seeing what she'd been up to while I was asleep. I called for Natalie, but didn't get any response. I looked in her room, thinking maybe she'd decided to sleep there but her bed was empty. I went upstairs and finally found her looking just like this

She made herself a bed out of our office chair, a throw pillow, and a blanket. Her bowl of cereal was next to her on a little table but she fell asleep before she could finish eating. I feel bad - the poor girl was kicked out of my room and sent to get her own breakfast and then felt that she had to make her own place to sleep instead of coming back to be with me. I'm trying to assuage my guilt by telling myself that she's a big girl who can take care of herself a lot of the time. She must have wanted to sleep there instead of being comfortable in a real bed, right? It's not that I'm a lazy mother or anything who was sleeping when she should have been doing something productive with her children :) It makes me think of Samantha unloading the dishwasher back when she was four.
I woke up at 9:30 and Natalie was not in the bed with Samantha and I. She can really get into trouble when she's left alone (see here and here) so I was not looking forward to seeing what she'd been up to while I was asleep. I called for Natalie, but didn't get any response. I looked in her room, thinking maybe she'd decided to sleep there but her bed was empty. I went upstairs and finally found her looking just like this
She made herself a bed out of our office chair, a throw pillow, and a blanket. Her bowl of cereal was next to her on a little table but she fell asleep before she could finish eating. I feel bad - the poor girl was kicked out of my room and sent to get her own breakfast and then felt that she had to make her own place to sleep instead of coming back to be with me. I'm trying to assuage my guilt by telling myself that she's a big girl who can take care of herself a lot of the time. She must have wanted to sleep there instead of being comfortable in a real bed, right? It's not that I'm a lazy mother or anything who was sleeping when she should have been doing something productive with her children :) It makes me think of Samantha unloading the dishwasher back when she was four.
I love this,it made me laugh! You are no different than any other mom. We have all done that, ore than once.
ReplyDeletecute... and don't feel bad. It's nice to get a little extra sleep every once in a while and also nice when kids start learning how to take care of themselves.
ReplyDelete